Good Morning All, and HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone, whether you celebrate it or not...

I have what should be a relatively simple question that I would like to pose that could avoid a very lengthy one...

if I create an associative array and place several key>value pairs in the array, will they remain in the order that they are placed, or will they be re-ordered in any way?

I want to create the array and then run an array_search on the $values to find the minimum value in the array.

I guess that would make a second question... I know I can do an array search on an array that I push values onto, but that isn't an associative array, so not sure I can even do that..

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and would most likely save me hours of research time.

thanks
Douglas

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Happy New Year you too.

First part of question you can make answered with just output of array:

$myArray = array('zero' => '0', 'first' => '1st', 'second' => '2nd', 'third' => '3rd');
print_r($myArray);

Second part of question you can solve with function min but also depends of type of variables you have in values of array.

Hello Douglas and a happy new year,

if I create an associative array and place several key>value pairs in the array, will they remain in the order that they are placed, or will they be re-ordered in any way?

They will remain in the order that you inserted them to the array , except if you want to re-ordered the associative array in any way through various PHP function (e.g. ksort asort)

I know I can do an array search on an array that I push values onto, but that isn't an associative array, so not sure I can even do that..

The same way … array_search will give the index of the array or false if not any matching your criteria.

Thank you Both for your responses...

jkon, I appreciate precise answers, and I believe that your answers were exactly what I was looking for...

I should know how it works for me in the morning and will post the results before marking this as solved...

Thanks again
Douglas

Thanks again jkon.

that was exactly what I needed to solve the problem.

working fine

Douglas

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.