Hallo,

How to decrypt md5 password?

I have a password stored in mysql in md5 then would like to retrieve it and decrypt it.

How to do so?

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

md5 no... php crypt() yes.

Member Avatar for diafol

Have you RTFM or http://bit.ly/1mmqGGb? The whole point of hashes (one-way) is that you can't unhash them - unless you use brute force / rainbow tables etc. md5 is not considered very secure compared to some other hashing algorithms.

Well, check this out:

user.php

//Load berita

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM user WHERE id=1") or die(mysql_error());

if ( mysql_num_rows($result) == 1){

$data = mysql_fetch_array($result);
        $id = $data['id'];
        $username = $data['username'];
        $email = $data['email'];
        $password = $data['password'];

}
    else {
    echo "unable to select data ";
    echo "id is empty";
    }

?>

<div id="inputberita">
      <center>
        <h2>User</h2>
      </center>
      <p><i>Untuk saat ini biarkan satu login name saja untuk semua orang</i></p>

<form method="post" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>">
            <input type="hidden" name="id" value="<?php echo $id; ?>"/>
            <table>
                <tr>Username <font color="red">*</font></tr><br>
                <tr><input type="text" size="40" id="username" name="username" value="<?php echo $username;?>"/><br><br></tr>             
                <tr>Email <font color="red">*</font></tr><br>
                <tr><input type="text" size="40" id="email" name="email" value="<?php echo $email;?>"><br><br></tr>       
                <tr>New Password</tr><br>
                <tr><input type="password" size="40" id="password" name="password" value="<?php echo $password;?>"><br><br></tr>      
                <tr>Confirm Password</tr><br>
                <tr><input type="password" size="40" id="password" name="password" value="<?php echo $password;?>"><br><br></tr>      
                <tr>             
                    <td colspan="2"><br><br><input type="submit" name="ok" value="Update"/><input type="submit" name="ok" value="Reset"/></td>
              </tr>
            </table>
        </form>

I am trying to create backend for web user. Supposing someone would like to change one's user and password. also my old password is hashed with md5 so if I show it (in form of black dots), it will be too long. There are more than 10 characters while the original password is shorter. So it looks a little bit funny. Do you get my point?

Member Avatar for diafol

Do you get my point?

No, I don't. You don't show the old password - dots or otherwise. That's the whole point. The user has to re-type the old password in order to change it to a new one. Example: a passer-by could change a pw while the user went to the toilet, effectively locking the user out of his account. Ideally a prompt fro a password should be made whenever key info e.g. address/tel number/email is changed, however, this is rarely implemented as a (poor IMO) compromise between security and convenience.

here's an example of what you may find useful:

http://www.daniweb.com/web-development/php/threads/478882/changing-pass-in-php-mysql#post2092388

It uses the new password functions - you will need PHP5.5
And if you don't use 5.5+ - think about upgrading - 5.5.0 is a year old!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.