Member Avatar for iamthwee

3.0 is out. Anyone used it? Is it worth migrating to... Is it stable?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Good lord it's about time! EllisLab made us wait forever for v3. To be honest though, I have a few large projects built on CI and I'm kinda afraid to upgrade because of all the horror stories I've heard about things breaking with framework upgrades. Once a stable version is out, I'll probably be using it for my next project though.

Wait, huh?! I thought EllisLabs announced that they were looking for a new maintainer for CodeIgniter? Honestly I wasn't expecting any future big version upgrades.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I thought EllisLabs announced that they were looking for a new maintainer for CodeIgniter? Honestly I wasn't expecting any future big version upgrades.

So they say, I think someone else is incharge of updates so it isn't Rick Ellis.

Their flagship product 'expression engine' is built on CI so one wonders about the link between CI and Expression engine.

I thought EllisLabs announced that they were looking for a new maintainer for CodeIgniter?

Correct.

Version 3.0 is in the repo since 2011 or so, the development slowed down after the decision of EllisLab and currently it is maintained by volunteers. Here is the change of the license to OSL 3.0:

And here's the current status:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.