I recently inherited a forum site for my car club when the previous admin simply quit. The easiest way for me to run the site and make the change seamlessly would be to log in to his account and go from there. Problem is I don't know his password. I don't know how long the hosting will stay, and I need to get in and get a copy of everything moved to my server. Is there any way to access his account, or get the password? I can't contact the guy and don't want to start from scratch.
The site is phpbb based, btw.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Well there are number of ways, simplest will be to register on that site as a normal user and create a account. Go to phpmyadmin & update your account to Admin (by changing the permission to 1). Now you can contol the forum. To copy the content you can use "big dump".

: ]

b4codes

I recently inherited a forum site for my car club when the previous admin simply quit. The easiest way for me to run the site and make the change seamlessly would be to log in to his account and go from there. Problem is I don't know his password. I don't know how long the hosting will stay, and I need to get in and get a copy of everything moved to my server. Is there any way to access his account, or get the password? I can't contact the guy and don't want to start from scratch.
The site is phpbb based, btw.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

Thanks for the info. I'm new to PHP and reading like mad.
I already have an account as a user, but I don't know of the phpmyadmin you spoke of....how do I access it? Do I need to download something for it?
I don't have access to the current hosting, but rather am having to try to get in a get a copy of everything by logging in to the site. I think it would be much easier if the tool doing the hosting would just give me access, but he won't. He's pissed off at the other guy, and wants quite a bit of cash to grant access.
Anyway, thanks again and in advance for your help and patience with a php newbie!!!

phpmyadmin is a database management (provided by the host .. for mysql). If you don't have acess to phpmyadmin, as it appears to me and if you don't have the site ftp password, then you are stuck ,,, there is no LEGAL way around. If you have acess to ftp then open config.php file and you can get the password for the database from there.

b4codes

Thanks for the info. I'm new to PHP and reading like mad.
I already have an account as a user, but I don't know of the phpmyadmin you spoke of....how do I access it? Do I need to download something for it?
I don't have access to the current hosting, but rather am having to try to get in a get a copy of everything by logging in to the site. I think it would be much easier if the tool doing the hosting would just give me access, but he won't. He's pissed off at the other guy, and wants quite a bit of cash to grant access.
Anyway, thanks again and in advance for your help and patience with a php newbie!!!

Well, I don't have the ftp password, it seems. I thought I did, but it didn't work. In essence, I own the site and its contents now, I just need to get into it. So if there are no Legal methods, what about the ones that would normally be less than legal, if I didn't own the site......? after all, I think it's legal to break into your own site....LOL

Well if own the site than your host is LEGALLY obliged to provide you with the contents. Well I am 5 year pass my teens and no longer do anything "less than legal". sorry dude, but your best bet is either to get any of the password or force your host (with legal notice of ownership) to give you the data.

b4codes

Well, I don't have the ftp password, it seems. I thought I did, but it didn't work. In essence, I own the site and its contents now, I just need to get into it. So if there are no Legal methods, what about the ones that would normally be less than legal, if I didn't own the site......? after all, I think it's legal to break into your own site....LOL

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.