An odd thing I've never seen or had occur in all the years of web dev:

The other day I got some code from Git-Hub and added it to my index page.

I decided not to use the code and removed it.

I then noticed that the Git-Hub favicon image is being displayed in my Chrome tab for this dev page.

How could this possibly happen? There is no code for this in the page and that icon is not on my server (I have never added any favicon for this project.)

The only thing I can possibly think of is that it's some kind of memory issue in my machine (but that makes no sense either.)

Has anyone ever seen something like this? It's not a huge issue, it's just a cloned, dev page; I would like to understand why it's happening, though.

Thank you in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Maybe the Github javascript injected <link rel="shortcut icon" href="blah blah blah"> into your webpage, and your browser cached that (as it does with favicons).

Dani,

Yes, that may be it.

The other odd behavior with that code from Github: I was experimenting with captcha scripts. I added one from Github. After I configured it and ran it (on a registration form,) it returned and loaded the Github homepage. I thought "Why is that happening and allowed to happen with someone's code hosted on Github? Is this captcha code altered to do this?"

I reviewed that captcha code: no links to Github or anything like that.

It's all a bit of a mystery at this point. But, I will always hesitate with Github now and will not waste my dev time trying to figure out what they're up to.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it :)

Question about cached pages, browser:

This page I'm working with is .php

I am now seeing (reviewing cached pages in Chrome, cookies, etc) that .php pages do so seem to be saved. I never knew that. Is this true?

If this is the case, is there a way to flush .php pages from browser memory, if they are being stored somewhere?

Thanks!

Part of this seems to be a Chrome issue.

I created a simple favicon, uploaded to the server, and added it to the page in question; it will not update in Chrome (still shows the Github favicon.) It actually displays the new favicon in IE (and FF,) which surprised me as I never use IE, save for browser testing. Chrome dissapoints me sometimes :(

Getting codes form github key getting allthing from that platform. Bacause you will mind for this icon that a Github admark

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.