Hello, I'm new into PHP. Just migrated from Java recently.
I'm trying to make a conversion machine that conver number to romans number.
Here is the code I wrote :

!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
    <title>Latins to Romans Conversion</title>
</head>
<body>
    <h2>Latin to Romans Conversion</h2>

<form method="post">
    Input Your Number : <input type="text" name="number"><br><br>
    <input type="submit" name="convert" value="submit">
    <input type="reset" value="reset"><br><br>

<?php 

if(isset($_POST['convert'])) {
            $number = $_POST['number'];

function convertToRoman($number) {
               function getNum($digit, $lowStr, $midStr, $nextStr) {
                   switch (true) {
                       case $digit <= 3: return str_repeat($lowStr, $digit);
                       case $digit == 4: return $lowStr + $midStr;
                       case $digit <= 8: return $midStr + str_repeat($lowStr, $digit);
                       default: return $lowStr + $nextStr;
                   }
               }
               $str = "0";

//Ribuan
               $str += str_repeat("M", floor($number / 1000)) . $number %= 1000;

//Ratusan
               $str += getNum(floor($number / 100), 'C', 'D', 'M') . $number %= 100;

//Puluhan
               $str += getNum(floor($number / 10), 'X','L', 'C') . $number %= 10;

//Satuan
               $str += getNum($number, 'I', 'V', 'X');

return $str;
           }
           $decimal = $number;
           echo "The Roman's form of this decimal number is", convertToRoman($decimal);
           return $decimal;
        }

?>
</body>
</html>

It display these errors:

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in D:\xampp\htdocs\omniwrench\latinromans.php on line 39
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in D:\xampp\htdocs\omniwrench\latinromans.php on line 42

Anyway, I'm still using PHP 7. I tried declare of each romans value in an array like this (just example) :

$mapHundreds = array('M' => 1000);

Anyone got solution? I've been searching the problem about this for an hour now. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

Hmm... It's weird how you've managed to arrange the code... First of all you have a function in a function. Second, I don't remember using the switch statement that way... The variables namings are all wrong (for example.... getNum() is not returning you a number but a string). I don't …

Jump to Post

All 3 Replies

Hmm... It's weird how you've managed to arrange the code... First of all you have a function in a function. Second, I don't remember using the switch statement that way... The variables namings are all wrong (for example.... getNum() is not returning you a number but a string). I don't know what java you did before this. But anyway, a good idea is to not add unneecessary complexity where there id no need for it. Also, comment your code. I didn't understand anything from it.

$number is probably null or a srting.
Maybe check for missing value and something like is_int() or is_numeric() to check if it's a number.

if(!$number || !is_int($number)){
    $number = 0;
}
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.