How do I pull ascii files or folders off a server I am remoted into?

For the first time in my life as a software developer I am tasked to remote in by VPN (sort of) to a server where ASP code resides. I want to copy and paste the text locally so I can do things like searches for function names and such. I can do it on the server perhaps but there is an issue with lag time. Also, the screen I remote into with is small.

I would like very much to cut and paste the ASCII text.

I can cut and paste via screen shots and piece it together and then use OCR software to convert into text. But that does not work.

Of course, cutting and pasting the ASCII does not work. The shared system memory does not work.

Things tried:

• tried to copy and text ascii text.
  • tried to copy and past text as a screen grab to use with OCR but it did not work well.

Now, not to get dark here, but, there IS some way to do this. And there IS such a thing as "friendly hacking". I mean, I have all seen youtube videos of people dialing into a remote server and downloading content somehow.

I can't guess the host OS, configuration and more but for us we would just FTP the files out to a new location, email them or something else. I can't guess what the server is here so it's unlikely I'll know how it's done for this server.

Since you need this, your host/employer should tell how to get this done if you can't find a way on your own.

commented: I think I will just ask them for FTP access. +5
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.