Hi Proggit! I've decided to learn how to develop for the web, and I want to learn how to create websites from scratch. So far I've figured out that I need to learn HTML, CSS, and javascript for user-side development. However, I'm having more trouble figuring out what to do for server-side development.

I've heard a lot of good things about Python, and about how it can be used for web development instead of PHP. However, I was wondering if I could completely skip out on learning PHP and solely use Python. If so, how would I go about doing that? I don't really understand how a web framework works, how to get something like Django on a host, and how that all ties in with Apache and wsgi(?).

My current list of languages to learn is as follows: HTML, CSS, Javascript, MySQL, and Python. Could I make a completely functioning website 2.0 with this knowledge? (e.g. like reddit) I know I can only get better with experience; my friend has an idea for a fmylife clone, and I wanted to use his idea for one of my first practice projects, I just don't want to mess up.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

@rproffitt thank you for the link

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.