Question for marketers.
I was thinking the other day about AI creating content and I was wondering if AI generated content had an impact on a website's SEO. Does Google allow this?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

For now, don't use AI such as ChatGPT to create articles, blogs and such. Google claims that it seeks differentiation (debatable) since it would not work if Google presented a list of links that all were rehashed AI output. Somewhere out there is Google's stance on AI/ML or in Dani's words "spun content." If you want to work SEO, don't copy/paste AI/ML output.

But I would use AI/ML to do my own research on topics like SEO. Someone calls out ChatGPT as dated information but we now can get an updated GPT 4.0 with more recent datasets.

There's a book titled Evolve Or Die. A chapter title from the book is "Our Civilization Is a Pyramid Scheme." As it is, Google is a pyramid scheme and as some point those at the bottom will have to evolve. AI looks to be a real threat to Google's pyramids.

Taking that to the next level, those that slave doing SEO to build Google's pyramids are well, slaves.

Some think the AI detectors will be the answer but so far I'm seeing way too many false positives. Example: The US Constitution is flagged as AI generated content. Google is working hard on AI content detection but as it stands today, it's terrible.

Google also is trying to counter OpenAI's GPT with Google Bard. However Bard shows how far behind GPT Google is today. In February 2023 the market reacted to a very poor demonstation of Bard. Microsoft and OpenAI soared while Google's stock dived.

Google is now a buggy whip maker. It may take another year for folk to see this but the writing is on the wall.

Google has officially stated that they take all content at face value when evaluating its quality, regardless of if it was generated by AI or not. It's also common knowledge that, at this time, at least, Google doesn't have the capability of accurately determining what is, and what isn't, AI generated content. As rproffitt pointed out, all the existing AI detection tools absolutely suck.

However, off the record, Google has been very vocal in the SEO community saying that AI generated content, bundled together with spun content, is pretty much always considered extremely low quality, and will hurt SEO.

Keep in mind, Google does factor authorship into determining the trustworthiness of an article. They want to send Google searchers to articles and resources written by experienced experts with first-hand knowledge of the subject matter. AI generated content, as impressive as it is, is only capable of collating facts that already exist on the web. Google already has access to those facts as well. The articles containing those facts are, most likely, already ranking in Google, and were most likely written by subject matter experts. If you want to rank above what's already out there, it needs to be a unique perspective, a new first-hand perspective, an innovative take on the subject matter, etc., and that is something that something without a "soul" doesn't have the capacity to write.

Google has strict protocols for SEO, and AI content does not replace self-generated, well-researched, and created content. We are still in the era of development. As AI spreads into other work areas like video, and website creation, you should see a rise in AI apps developed to detect and reject AI-generated content.

As @Dani says, unique will win the game, always!

If the content is well written and unique then AI content is Good.

These AI Content Generation Tool can Be the best, Anyhow If You are Choosing AI Tools for Your Blog Content Get Ready You Will Be Penalized by the Search Engine Very Soon.

Consider the new Bing your AI-powered copilot for the web - it's like having a research assistant, personal planner, and creative partner at your side whenever you search.

As far as my knowledge goes, the more well-researched and authentic your content is, the more chances it has of being ranked. This is because, firstly, it won't be plagiarized or copied, which will significantly reduce its chances of getting considered spammy. Hence, its better not to fully copy the AI generated content but you can use AI content by paraphrasing it the ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.