Hi, everyone. Hope someone can offer some help on this. I need to generate a chart, preferably, by using Microsoft Excel. I need to retrieve some data from an aspx form and use the data to generate the chart in Excel. Okay, there are some input fields in the aspx form and by retrieving the input data, an Excel chart can be generated, after the user clicks a button. The user might be directed to another page displaying the chart. Is it possible or does someone have any other way of doing it? Urgent. By the way, I am using ASP.NET with VB. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Excel is not a server application. Asking it to be a "chart server" for your web application is not going to lead to a scalable application. I would suggest either:

1) creating your own charts directly, which is possible using the Graphics namespace. Create images based on form data, and stream them right back to the user, or

2) get an ASP.NET compatible charting component.

Excel is not a server application. Asking it to be a "chart server" for your web application is not going to lead to a scalable application. I would suggest either:

1) creating your own charts directly, which is possible using the Graphics namespace. Create images based on form data, and stream them right back to the user, or

2) get an ASP.NET compatible charting component.

Hi, tgreer. Thanks alot for the reply. However, I have a problem. I went to the ASP.NET compatible charting component link. Because I need to draw line chart, so I clicked the line charts link. I saw one component that seems compatible enough for my project, the TimeDataPlot. Unfortunately, it couldn't be downloaded, due to unknown reason. The other suggested controls couldn't be used because they require the updated versions of ASP.NET 2006 and .NET Framework v2.0. I am using ASP.NET 2003 and .NET Framework SDK v1.1. And, can you please provide the Graphics namespace definition? I couldn't find it. Sorry for the trouble, I am a beginner using ASP.NET with VB. Thanks alot for the help.

I have no control over the asp.net website. In any case, you really need to update to .NET Framework 2.0. I understand that may not be under your control.

I have to apologize. I said "Graphics", when I meant "Drawing". Use the System.Drawing namespace.

There are a few articles on the topic, such as this one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.