I'm trying to upgrade from php 4.3.4 to php 5.1.6 on a system running SuSE 9. I thought I had correctly followed the instructions in the install manual that came with the download, but when I restarted apache2, running the phpinfo() command still shows my system as running 4.3.4. There did not appear to be any special install instructions for SuSE in the manual, but I'm not very familiar with Linux or with installing php, so I could easily have missed something. Does anyone know of anything specific that might be causing my problems?

Thanks in advance,
-EnderX

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Did you copy the files over the original install, or move them and then put the new ones in?

Which files needed to be moved? Most of what I was able to make out from the instructions in the 'INSTALL' document were requirements to edit previously existing files. How badly have I mucked this up?

Okay, new question now. I didn't realize at first that I needed to move the new php.ini file in. (Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot.) After I did so, though, I ran into a new problem. Moved ini, restarted server; none of my files would show up, just a blank page and the word 'done' at the bottom. Only page that would show is an old one I made that's basically the phpinfo() command, and even after the restart with the correct ini file that was still showing as version 4.3.4. Anybody have any clue what's going on with my setup?

Thanks in advance,
-EnderX

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.