Hi,

I have datagrid control which contains textboxs in ItemTemplate. I need to set attribute to the textbox for the purpose of accessing the client side java script function.

Here is my code snip.

<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Fld Date">
                <ItemTemplate>
                    <%# (DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,"DATE","{0:d}").ToString()) %>
                </ItemTemplate>
                <ItemStyle VerticalAlign="Top" />
                <EditItemTemplate>
     <asp:TextBox  id="txtDate" runat="server" /><asp:TextBox id="txtDate" runat="server" />
                </EditItemTemplate>
                <FooterStyle VerticalAlign="Top" />
            </asp:TemplateColumn>

Here i need to set the attribue when edit the datagrid item.
Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

Satees

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

the datagrid control has an OnItemDataBound event, it fires for each row as it is bound to the grid. Create an event handler for this event, in the handler get a reference to the textbox control and add the attribute.

private void myDataGrid_ItemDataBound(object sender, DataGridItemEventArgs e)
{
    if(e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.AlternatingItem)
    {
        TextBox textBox =  (TextBox)e.Item.FindControl("txtDate");

textBox.Attributes.Add("onclick","myJavascriptFunc();");
    }
}

the datagrid control has an OnItemDataBound event, it fires for each row as it is bound to the grid. Create an event handler for this event, in the handler get a reference to the textbox control and add the attribute.

{
    if(e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.AlternatingItem)
    {

}
}

Hi,
I have put the same coding that u mentioned above, but it shows an exception like,

" Object reference not set to an instance of an object "

Here is my code:

protected void grdHouseHolds_ItemDataBound(object sender, DataGridItemEventArgs e)
{
if (e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.AlternatingItem)
{
TextBox textBox = (TextBox)e.Item.FindControl("txtDate");
textBox.Attributes.Add("onclick","fnShow();");

LinkButton lButton = (LinkButton)e.Item.FindControl("Delete");
lButton.Attributes.Add("OnClick", "javascript:return confirm('Are you sure, would you like to delete?')");

}
}

But it shows an exception only for textbox control, instead the attribute successfully sets for the linkbutton control.

Any idea how to solve it?

Thanks,
Satees

Is this right? I'm not sure it's good to have two text boxes with the same id in the template column of your datagrid.

<asp:TextBox id="txtDate" runat="server" /><asp:TextBox id="txtDate" runat="server" />

EDIT -> Oh hangon I've just realised the textbox is in the edititem template, I've never used that myself before I need some time to experiment. The If statement in the handler is checking for Item and alternating item. Perhaps this will work:

{
    {
lButton.Attributes.Add("OnClick", "javascript:return confirm('Are you sure, would you like to delete?')");
    }
    else if (e.ItemType == ListItem.EditItem)
    {

}

}

I will try it myself too.

hi, I m not having two textboxes in the editItem template...

I have faced the above exception when tried to set the attribute for the textbox...

Is this right? I'm not sure it's good to have two text boxes with the same id in the template column of your datagrid.

<asp:TextBox id="txtDate" runat="server" /><asp:TextBox id="txtDate" runat="server" />

EDIT -> Oh hangon I've just realised the textbox is in the edititem template, I've never used that myself before I need some time to experiment. The If statement in the handler is checking for Item and alternating item. Perhaps this will work:

{
    {
    }
    else if (e.ItemType == ListItem.EditItem)
    {

}

}

I will try it myself too.

Yeah this works for me:

if (e.ItemType == ListItem.EditItem)

Yes, now i can set the attribute to the datagrid items.
Thanks
hollystyles.

I recommend this series of articles:

http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/071002-1.2.aspx

And did you try the new code I posted? from your comments above it doesn't look like you read everything properly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.