Hey, I'm learning Ruby and I've just about got it sorted. I have just one (or maybe more) question(s): What is marshal.dump and does it allow you to save data to a file outside of the Ruby program? If not, how do I create saved data (ie. character attributes inside a text-based game)? Thanks for answers!

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Gazco

Hey, I'm learning Ruby and I've just about got it sorted. I have just one (or maybe more) question(s): What is marshal.dump and does it allow you to save data to a file outside of the Ruby program? If not, how do I create saved data (ie. character attributes inside a text-based game)? Thanks for answers!

For some reason the rubycentral site seems to be down so the original article I'd link to isn't available, however it's in the google cache.

You can read this small tutorial here -
http://sitekreator.com/satishtalim/object_serialization.html

Hope that helps.

Thanks, these sites really helped a lot and answered my questions, but the last one also brought up one little one: in the second example the programmer used

File.open('game', 'w+') do |f|

What does the string

'w+'

do and

|f|

do please? Thanks once again for any help.

Thanks, these sites really helped a lot and answered my questions, but the last one also brought up one little one: in the second example the programmer used

File.open('game', 'w+') do |f|

What does the string

'w+'

do and

|f|

do please? Thanks once again for any help.

"w+" is a mode string; it truncates the file (or creates a new one if it doesn't exist)

|f| is a block. Basically it means that in the following code f refers to the file.

A quick example of a simple block:

>> 5.times do |i|
?> puts i.to_s
>> end
=> 5
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.