I think it is unfair to stick the Ruby discussion forum inside Web Development. Ruby on Rails is a really handy web framework, but Ruby has other capabilities. I think it should be put under Software Development, does anyone agree?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

No, ruby is mainly use for web applications.

I'm sorry but I disagree, Ruby is very versatile and used an awful lot in non-web applications.

It is Rails that has made Ruby popular as a Web development language

As for moving the Ruby forum, it would make sense to (or at least renaming it to 'Ruby on Rails').

Also (and I've mentioned this in the past) the Database forums shouldn't really be in Web Dev; they would be equally at home in Software Development (or under their own heading but that'd mess up the layout)

I agree, Ruby is mainly for other software, but wouldn't it be easier to just stick a link to this forum in both software and web development?

I would prefer seeing this forum renamed Ruby on Rails because Rails is really what gave Ruby a huge boost in familiarity among most people.

Ruby is absolutely NOT merely a web development language. Rails is a popular framework for Ruby just as Seaside is a framework for Smalltalk. That doesn't make Smalltalk a web development language any more than is Ruby.

best wishes
Huw

Yes ,I agree with u.In Fact RoR Is emerging technilogy now a days.
Its a Fact that RoR package mostly suits the web application.But
the combination of ruby and rails has much more in there hands
which can be use to make any project whether it belongs to the class
of software or web development.I think that person who are working on ror can understand this thing better.

By
Vineet Kumar

Member Avatar for sjvr767

Yes, Ruby should be under Software Development.

To illustrate the problem, I just registered and wanted to see if there was anything on Ruby... So, I first went to Software Development, before noticing that it is under Web Development.

Perhaps there could be a specific Ruby on Rails forum in this Web Development section?

By the way, I used Ruby for manipulating text files and passing data in and out of a database... Nothing to do with web development.

Ruby is NOT just for web applications!
This sub forum should be renamed "Ruby on Rails".

Ruby is being used used mainly for web applications at this point (supposedly)but this is only half of the picture. Ruby is a scripting language by definition but it is powerful and can be exploited for non-Web development with fine results.

As to the Ruby section of DaniWeb being located in the Web Dev section-- well, thankfully we at least have a Ruby section (something I rallied for some years ago).

Interestingly enough, Python is located in the Software Dev section I believe; personally, I put Python and Ruby on the same level, although I prefer the beauty and speed of Ruby by far after using Python extensively.

Hi guys i m new in...... and new for RoR too.

Just wanted to say Hello to all :)
and wanted to know ,where I can Find RoR projects (online) to work
and earn something, do v hv such sites which provide Projects to work with.
want to increase my knowledge of RoR. while earning something. :)

Also where I can find projects no necessarily related with RoR.
thanx for ur help in advance :)

I think it is unfair to stick the Ruby discussion forum inside Web Development. Ruby on Rails is a really handy web framework, but Ruby has other capabilities. I think it should be put under Software Development, does anyone agree?

True, and where's the python forum?

They should really have forums for languages like java, ruby and python in both web and thick client places, or stop making the distinction between "web" and "non web".

All software development is the same...

I'm with you guys, Ruby must be in one forum with Python and Perl.
But no one from the admins here will notice that :(.

If you not happy about current location of Ruby in web section, please create post in Feedback section and state your reasons.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.