I am working with ASP.NET, C# and SQL Server.

What I am trying to do seems simple enough, but is causing me alot of problems. I am trying to set up my DataGrid so that is updates only when i press the Update button. It is pulling information from 5 different locations right now. 4 Combo boxes that contain a Category, Family, Sub Family and a Specific ID. It is also getting information from a text box that simple uses the word(s) typed in to search for the matching content in the items description field. I have basically created a detailed item searcher. But the problem is each combo box has to contain auto post back, because of the relationships. (each Category has specific Families that can belong to it, each Family has specific Sub Families that can belong to it, etc, etc...) so each time i select a new category, family what have you, the datagrid refreshes and this takes alittle time because the database itself contain 1500+ items.

Right now i am using paging, but i want to find a way so that the DataGrid will only refresh when the user preses the Search button.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I am working with ASP.NET, C# and SQL Server.

What I am trying to do seems simple enough, but is causing me alot of problems. I am trying to set up my DataGrid so that is updates only when i press the Update button. It is pulling information from 5 different locations right now. 4 Combo boxes that contain a Category, Family, Sub Family and a Specific ID. It is also getting information from a text box that simple uses the word(s) typed in to search for the matching content in the items description field. I have basically created a detailed item searcher. But the problem is each combo box has to contain auto post back, because of the relationships. (each Category has specific Families that can belong to it, each Family has specific Sub Families that can belong to it, etc, etc...) so each time i select a new category, family what have you, the datagrid refreshes and this takes alittle time because the database itself contain 1500+ items.

Right now i am using paging, but i want to find a way so that the DataGrid will only refresh when the user preses the Search button.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you dun wan to let it postback, why not u dun using ASPnet AJAX?
it quite Simple to use that.
but requirement is framework 2.0 and above

Mostly because i have to use what my company uses. They have the software for SQL 2005 and Visual Studios 2005 so that is what I am using. If i had my choice I would be using Asynchronous, but i do not... bah.

Anyways i found a work around, I am still curious about this problem, but for now I am making this one as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.