hi everybody,
i m doing project in which i need to get the values from one software written in VB and use in the asp.
Is it possible to fetch the values from the ASP.
many thanks
anju

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What exactly do you mean? Fetch the values via form, querystring, xml, database, or sessions? Be more specific.

Form: Request.Form("inputname")
Querystring: Request.QueryString("querystringname")
XML: Requires much more
Database: (after connecting) rs("columnname") or rs.fields("columnname") if looped.
Session: strGetValue = Session("sessionname")

Be more specific please

Oh, and if you mean from asp.net with vb, you can declare a string with lets say.. strGetValue

after declaring and setting strings/connections, run an scalar method to get the value you wish. It only holds the first occurance of the sql.

cmdSelect = New SqlCommand( "SELECT UserName FROM Users WHERE UserID=@Userid", conn )
cmdSelect.Parameters.AddWithValue( "@Userid", strUserID )
strGetValue = cmdSelect.ExecuteScalar()

This would retrieve the users UserName where his userid equals strUserID.

Otherwise use the Reader method and bind it to a control like Repeater/Datalist/grid.

What exactly do you mean? Fetch the values via form, querystring, xml, database, or sessions? Be more specific.

Form: Request.Form("inputname")
Querystring: Request.QueryString("querystringname")
XML: Requires much more
Database: (after connecting) rs("columnname") or rs.fields("columnname") if looped.
Session: strGetValue = Session("sessionname")

Be more specific please

Oh, and if you mean from asp.net with vb, you can declare a string with lets say.. strGetValue

after declaring and setting strings/connections, run an scalar method to get the value you wish. It only holds the first occurance of the sql.

cmdSelect = New SqlCommand( "SELECT UserName FROM Users WHERE UserID=@Userid", conn )
cmdSelect.Parameters.AddWithValue( "@Userid", strUserID )
strGetValue = cmdSelect.ExecuteScalar()

This would retrieve the users UserName where his userid equals strUserID.

Otherwise use the Reader method and bind it to a control like Repeater/Datalist/grid.

hi dear...thank you very for ur reply.
Actually i m using a temperature sensor which senses the room temp and that analog value is given to analog to digital convertor i.e. k8055 usb experiment board. This board is connected to computer through USB and there is software which comes with this experiment board thorugh which u can see the values of temp values..digital values...And now i need to display this value on my website page...and i m using asp to design my web page...can u please help how i can retrieve the data from the software...and that usb experiment board software is written in VB.

Sorry, have no clue. Wish I could be of some help! You might try posting in the VB or C# forums here for a better answer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.