Hi all,
I'm working on a project with my friends which contains modules that are written in C++,JAVA and C#. This project is currently aimed for Windows and is deployed using an old InstallShield (pretty sure it's older than 2008) based wrapper.
I would like to be able to check prerequisites at the start of the deployment. I am not familiar with InstallShield and it's capabilities and I was wondering if you could point me at a source of good methodologies for such development.

To make my self a little clearer, I would like to check that there is sufficient disk space available, that a list of certain ports are available, that .NET 3.5 is installed etc.

Thank you in advance,
Snow :)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I do not see any Computer Science point in your post, more like Windows question as I do not thonk InstallShield exist for other operatinbg systems.

First I would like to know if there is a general methodology in CS for checking prerequisites.

Thank you

I do not think that yu could say so directly, but dependies are connected with graphs and you could propably apply theory behind linking stage of compilers or general graph theory for problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependency_graph

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.