GUys am having a hard time deciding majors.
Iam interested in both Computer Science and Applied math but cant decide . by the way heres the applied math program at my school so check it out to see if it is good --> http://w3.fiu.edu/math/html/urmath.htm

I just want to know if appled math is good as CS is.

any help would be appreciated.
:cheesy:

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I'd say the applied math program is as 'good' as the CS program, since it mixes good math classes with what I consider the good CS classes. This is coming from somebody majoring in math or applied math who sneaks around CS classes. If I were in your position I'd go for the applied math program, but that might be just because I'd like to avoid the "Report and technical writing" and "Business professional communications" classes.

The reason I chose math at my school was simply that this choice effectively made every course I take an elective, in that I'd have taken it anyway. Maybe you should look at what courses you'll have to take, but wouldn't have chosen out of your own free will. Whichever major forces you to take fewer undesireable courses is the better program.

Of course, what you consider 'good' might not be what I consider 'good' when it comes to applied math and CS.

I'd say the applied math program is as 'good' as the CS program, since it mixes good math classes with what I consider the good CS classes. This is coming from somebody majoring in math or applied math who sneaks around CS classes. If I were in your position I'd go for the applied math program, but that might be just because I'd like to avoid the "Report and technical writing" and "Business professional communications" classes.

The reason I chose math at my school was simply that this choice effectively made every course I take an elective, in that I'd have taken it anyway. Maybe you should look at what courses you'll have to take, but wouldn't have chosen out of your own free will. Whichever major forces you to take fewer undesireable courses is the better program.

Of course, what you consider 'good' might not be what I consider 'good' when it comes to applied math and CS.

Thanks for provinding me good answers. I would like to hear more of you regarding the applied math degree. I made my final choice and am going for the applied major. I just have some questions.
Currently i finished my calc 2 class with a B , and Calculus with an A , and am about to take calc 3 , i just want to know if am capable of completing the applied math degreee having completed my calc 1 and 2 with A and B , i mean are these good indicators that i wont get stuck in upper divisions courses ? i really like math but not to extent of pure mathematics where i would be required to take Axiomatic set theory and complex analysis. the link from my school math degree that i provided before really got my attention because it is more math and computer classes ,the classes shown are not extremely hard compared to the Pure math degree.

If i complete the Applied math degree what kind of jobs would i get besides programming or the finance field ?
i mean iam interested in working for Mathematica or Boeing where i would be able to use Applied Partial Differential Equations, you know 50% applied math and 50% Computer Science to develop those applications.

Thank you very much for your answers. :cheesy:
Please reply with your experiences in college as a math major
i really want to hear from someone in the field :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.