There is a add running to my right about my computer having spyware/adware and to click if i want to scan my computer ,the site in Question is on the list or Rouge Spyware tools and sites ,check the Rouge Tools' link in my signature .I don't think this site should have such a link on it !!
This is what the Rough Site says about No-ADWARE .NET
NoAdware no-adware.com
noadware.net
no-adware.net has used aggressive, deceptive advertising (1, 2, 3); has exploited names of "ad-aware" (1, 2); earlier version was same app as Adware Hitman, Consumer Identity, Protect Your Identity, SpyBan, SpywareAssasin, Spyware C.O.P., SpywareKilla, The Adware Hunter, & TheSpywareKiller - (Note: other domains associated with NoAdware include: adware-removal.biz, adwareremoval.net, downloadspybot.com, free-adware-scan.com, sdspybot.com, spybot-spyware.com) [A: 6-26-04 / U: 10-27-04]

Recommended Answers

All 38 Replies

That's how I ended up purchasing xoftspy; since it was advertised here, I thought it was being 'recommended.' I know better now, but I've wondered myself if there isn't a way to screen the advertisers.

I've dealt with this in the past regarding advertisers on the site. Dani does have the ability to filter out certain ads, and she's done so for me in the past. If you know of a site that is particularly undesirable, and it's showing up in the ads we're rotating, please, PLEASE let Dani know-- we don't want to be the source of our own problems, I'm sure.

Thanks Alex, if I notice anything again, I'll be sure to do that!

Alex is correct, but I just want to comment on this. I do have the ability to filter out certain advertisements that are inappropriate, etc. And I did so to the WeatherBug ads, granted I was told that the software is spyware.

However, please keep in mind that when I filter out ads, they are not replaced with other ads. Instead, they become unsold advertising revenue. For example, turning down the WeatherBug campaign has cost DaniWeb $XX per day, but that is something I have no problem doing on an ethical ground.

I just want you guys to keep this in mind when suggesting that I remove advertisement campaigns. For example, it is simply not practical for me to turn down advertisers who would like to advertise products I simply don't like, don't feel are of good quality, or are based on anything that is at all objective. It's simply not a practical solution for a business which receives all of its revenue from advertising.

However, if you guys stumble upon any advertisements that are illegal, spyware, etc., then I have no problem turning away the advertiser. Please just keep in mind that I don't personally endorse any advertisements on the site.

Thats to bad really ,but I guess money is important !
So let this be a warning to people reading this post ,The NO-Adware program is a RIPP OFF .

Just say NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm ... Do you think that I am sounding too money hungry? Please keep me grounded ;) I am open to suggestions. But take the following scenerio ... an advertiser contacts me and says "I would like to purchase $XXX worth of advertising. They prepay, and then send me the link to their site. Do I then turn them down and say, "sorry, I think you're overcharging, your product is a rip-off, here is your money back" ... from a marketing perspective, word will spread VERY quickly among advertisers and that could be the demise of Daniweb.

No Im not saying you are money hungry ! Just running contradicting Adds .
I sit here for HRS' some times helping people with Spyware /Trojan problems and You have Adds for Programs that put spyware on a persons computer to trick them into buying the product to clean there computers,when we use FREE program that will do exactually the Same thing ! Maybe even better .
The End

I think this is a very genuine problem, both for Dani and for Forum readers. There's more than side panel ads to consider, because smaller links show up in various places as well. The one mentioned here, No-Adware, is reported to generate its own blasted nuisance popups, and that's certainly not a good thing when it emanates from software purported to get RID of such stuff.

No, I don't think you're being too money-hungry Dani, you're merely confronting the reality of keeping the site going.

But it certainly IS an indication that other methods of financing the site need to be continually pursued. This is a site which offers assistance to people in need, and advertising DOES have an impact. And let's face it, if people obtain products from advertisments on this site which cause problems for them rather than fixing their problems, then that will send out a 'message' of its own, and in the long run do just as much harm as turning away advertisers.

I have certainly noticed lately that an increasing amount of 'Spyware' product advertisements appear. We most certainly can't afford to have those advertisements generating problems on people's PCs rather than leading to a solution for them.

As I said, I am definitely willing to remove advertisements that are simply spyware. If you find such an ad, please do let me know, and I will filter it out. However, it's somewhat of a different story if it is an opinion that an advertiser is selling a product you disagree with or think is a rip-off - because that is more of an objective opinion. If I cancel an advertiser's campaign, I need a viable reason that would hold up in court should the need arise, as my advertisers often prepay me and therefore there is a legal binding to not drop their advertisements midway through a campaign.

However, if there are any advertisements that are definite spyware or malware, please do let me know with as much detailed information about them as possible. Thanks!

- Dani

I have certainly noticed lately that an increasing amount of 'Spyware' product advertisements appear. We most certainly can't afford to have those advertisements generating problems on people's PCs rather than leading to a solution for them.

The reason for the increase in Spyware products is because the Advertiser knows people are coming to this site for help with Spyware .
Most Rouge programs put spyware on you computer to FIND ,just in case you didn't have any ,if you have none you would incline not to BUY the Program,Right !!!
Anyway my starting this topic was just to warn users od the site that the NO-Adware program being advertised was a Ripp Off!!According to the info in The Rouge link in my signature .
Just noticed this top was moved to the Coffie House ,were newcomers wont see the message anyway .

This discussion reminds me of Google Ads, which can sometimes be very inappropriate! I was reading my local newspaper online (which is where I found out about Danniweb, btw), and they had an article about some kids killed in a drunk driving accident. Some set of keywords convinced Google to advertise a local, er, 'beverage distributer'.

Or, like the Google adds on THIS PAGE, which are all adds for spyware removal! Hee hee.

The web is a wonderous place. Like walking downtown in a big city after dark, you stumble across both the best and the worst humanity has to offer, and everything in between.

That's how I ended up purchasing xoftspy; since it was advertised here, I thought it was being 'recommended.' I know better now, but I've wondered myself if there isn't a way to screen the advertisers.

From Spywarewarrior, a reputable site that investigates alleged spyware removal tools;

aggressive, deceptive advertising (1, 2, 3); questionable license terms; false positives work as goad to purchase

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Maybe I should turn off the Proxomitron whilst I am here so that I can see what Ads are served up?

From Spywarewarrior, a reputable site that investigates alleged spyware removal tools;
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Like I said, I know that now -- thanks to the techs here -- but I didn't when I first came to this site and was desperate for a fix to the problem I was having.

Maybe an announcement could be put at the top of the Security forum stating that ads are not endorsed and/or to ask for advice/opinions before purchasing any?

As for this statement:

...word will spread VERY quickly among advertisers and that could be the demise of Daniweb.

I think it would only keep the rogue advertisers away.

And, as far as revenue is concerned, I think there would be more donations if the link were at the top of the forum pages instead of at the bottom. I was here for months before I even noticed it was there. I doubt donations will ever match advertising income, but it all helps, right? Also, unless I'm mistaken, I believe a small bit of income is derived every time someone just clicks on a google ad link; getting the word out about that could help some as well.

I have decided to look further into filtering out the No-Adware banners. It will take about a day for me to investigate exactly how much I would be losing if I filtered it out, and whether it might be possible to receive an alternate ad in its place (though this is doubtful). Perhaps I just browse the Internet way too much, and have done so for way too long, but I was always under the impression that it was unsaid knowledge that a site never endorses its advertisements. Hmm. As far as getting the word out about the Google Ads ... while this is true, it is against Google's terms of service to spread the word about this -> ads should only be clicked on for their own merit and genuine interest in the ad - not to show support for the site they are on.

The Add in Question is a Flashing box that says WARNING Your Computer may be infected with Spyware .
I know a lot of people who are new to computers ,who wouldn't know that it was even a Add ,they take it literally, and thing its warning them that There computer is INFECTED ,and click on the link to get help .That is why the add is Flashing a WARNING .The Add people know thats how people new to computers React!!!

Alex is correct, but I just want to comment on this. I do have the ability to filter out certain advertisements that are inappropriate, etc. And I did so to the WeatherBug ads, granted I was told that the software is spyware.

However, please keep in mind that when I filter out ads, they are not replaced with other ads. Instead, they become unsold advertising revenue. For example, turning down the WeatherBug campaign has cost DaniWeb $XX per day, but that is something I have no problem doing on an ethical ground.

I just want you guys to keep this in mind when suggesting that I remove advertisement campaigns. For example, it is simply not practical for me to turn down advertisers who would like to advertise products I simply don't like, don't feel are of good quality, or are based on anything that is at all objective. It's simply not a practical solution for a business which receives all of its revenue from advertising.

However, if you guys stumble upon any advertisements that are illegal, spyware, etc., then I have no problem turning away the advertiser. Please just keep in mind that I don't personally endorse any advertisements on the site.

I feel that this No-Adware link should get pulled on the same basis as the Weatherbug one. Nobody wants this site to go under, or for you to not have enough funding, but I think there is a big integrity issue here. If we can't endorse a tool/site because it conflicts with one of our aims on the site, then that ad needs to be removed, no matter the financial conflict. That's just my take on the situation; it's counterproductive to recommend something that we may end up having to spend time removing in the future because it's a problem.

Imagin Going to lets say Weight Watchers.com and finding Ads for Chocolates,Coke,or Hostess Twinkies, .ECT.ECT.Ect Would you think it was ok to eat them !

Hey guys. I have removed the No-Adware ad in addition to the Weatherbug one. However, by cutting out those two much needed advertisements, we are now losing an average of $80 per day. That's right guys ... filtering out those two ads has unfortunately brought DaniWeb completely into the red. I have moved the "Donate" link up to the top of the site navigation from the bottom, but other than that, I am desperate looking for other ways to boost revenue ... and quickly. After doing some calculations, I came to the conclusion that we need to make at least $1.25 each time someone registers with us in order to stay in the black.

Well I guess thats the price to pay for doing the right thing!
I will try and save up a few bucks and send you some to help out .I do enjoy this site !

As I mentioned, we need a little over a dollar per new member who registers with the site to be all okay again. By this I mean just $1.50 one time when someone signs up. (Not any sort of recurring fee). I am thinking of perhaps a partnership with some sort of company to show their offer when a new member registers. Not exactly sure how yet - but if I could get about a dollar per signup, then that would be perfect. Any ideas? :)

Hi Dani, I noticed you got the donation link at the top now (Help Us Out: Donate), I think that will help. I do have a couple of suggestions for you to consider.

I don't think charging everyone a dollar is going to work because some people don't have the means of paying online and some will be turned off just by asking for money (regardless of the amount). I think the donation route is the best way to go, but find ways to encourage more -- such as putting the link at the top.

I think the link should be reworded too, a few suggestions (instead of 'Help Us Out: Donate'):
Help us out by donating
Help us out by making a small donation
If we've helped you, help us out by making a small donation
It costs money to provide this service, please help us out by making a small donation

I also have a suggestion (yeah, I know, I'm full of It) for the donation page. Instead of just the two subscription options, add one more for the donater to specify any amount -- without a subscription.

These are just a few things to think about since you asked for ideas. :)

Hey there dlh. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I will definitely consider adding a donate X form to the subscription page. However, I think you misunderstood me. As I said, I need about one dollar per signup. However, I don't plan on asking my members for this money. Instead, I plan on perhaps partnering with some company in that I would put their advertisement on the registration page or work some sort of partnership out where I end up making about one dollar per signup through advertising. Definitely not going to be charging the members.

Hey there dlh. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I will definitely consider adding a donate X form to the subscription page. However, I think you misunderstood me. As I said, I need about one dollar per signup. However, I don't plan on asking my members for this money. Instead, I plan on perhaps partnering with some company in that I would put their advertisement on the registration page or work some sort of partnership out where I end up making about one dollar per signup through advertising. Definitely not going to be charging the members.

I like this idea, if someone can do it.

Is it not possible to squeeze in another ad aggregation service on the forum in somewhere? I could stand another ad, if it meant keeping the site open. I just thought that ads that we know are spyware related were not in line with our goals here of fixing people's computers, that's all.

Im willing to bet that the Spyware releated ones pay better than the others ,Especially to be able to place there Adds on a site decetated to the fight against Spyware/Adware problems

Yes, I did misunderstand, and that sounds like a great idea if you can find someone to do it.

I had another thought to promote donations. A while back you had a contest where the winner got a cash reward; well, how about one where the prize is a 'Subscription' membership (for whatever period you deem appropriate)? This would increase awareness of the Donation section.

I have added a new advertisement area to the top of the forum pages (with the thread listings). The money they bring in should be able to cover the revenue lost from spyware advertisements and potentially any future advertisements we need to weed out. Please let me know if you think it is overly obtrusive and perhaps we can come up with something else. Thanks!

Your donation contest idea seems cool. :) That's something you'd have to talk to Stack Overflow about, though ... he's in charge of our contests :)

As Long as its making money for the site ,I'll get use to it being there !:)

Accepting only paypal as a payment service is a big block towards receiving donations (as are the rates which seem steep compared to what sites I donate to charge).

People in many countries can't use paypal at all and personally I don't trust them (there's been too much trouble with their reliability, plus extremely poor service in case of bad transactions) and as the monetary system is all about trust that means I won't use them.

I understand that pp is the easiest system to set up but please consider other options like credit card payments (which don't have to be more expensive than is pp and are a lot more secure).

I've taken up this issue with several other sites: I won't donate to a group that accepts only pp nor will I buy any product where pp is the only payment option.

Cheques and IMOs are also not really an option. Cheques don't exist here and IMOs cost a ton to use. I've sent cash through the mail successfully but you have to know how to mask the package so as to not make it look like cash (plus I've heard that in some areas it's illegal to send or receive cash through the mail).

Ah, I'll see what I can do about the contests.

Maybe something a little simpler than my previous two contests ;)

- Stack Overflow

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.