I have something to say..

Is there any way to convert the http://www.daniweb.com/software-development/vbnet/58
page as live page...

I mean like facebook. whenever i want to see who last reply a thread i must have to refresh the page.

But it will be great if the form automatically refresh some parts of it. Like last reply by whome. Total reply and all others like this..... So it will save too much bandwidth and also the user time.....

If i am wrong please let me know.....

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

It's certainly a suggestion worth looking into.

Unfortunately this isn't something feasible in the near future. There are two ways to accomplish this. The first is with polling, which is where your web browsers pings the server every few seconds to see if there's new information. This is incredibly bandwidth-intensive, and it eats a lot of ram on the client side as well.

The second way is through using a Javascript-based server such as NodeJS, which works more on the concept of push technology than polling. This is the current modern approach. However, it requires a server-side JavaScript server (such as the increasingly popular NodeJS) and learning server-side JS.

Okey i understand.... But atleast provide a refresh button for that. So that the whole page will not refreshed only some parts refreshed. I think this time it would save bandwidth......

Manual refresh. Means whenever we need it to refresh the reply count or other stuffs. Because here the internet connection is too slow so the whole page get long time to refresh... If we use the refresh button then only texts will transferred between server and client and refresh will done in a slow speed also....

Stay tuned for the new version of DaniWeb that is coming soon ... It will be MUCH faster, I promise.

Cant we have a sneak peek?

Cant we have a sneak peek?

The site hasn't been skinned yet, so it doesn't look like much. We don't really want to show off the raw site as folks have a tendency to focus on how it looks and ignore how it works.

It'll be ready for show soon, though. :)

The site hasn't been skinned yet, so it doesn't look like much. We don't really want to show off the raw site as folks have a tendency to focus on how it looks and ignore how it works.

Not the moderators (at least most of us are savvy enough to understand that)

Not the moderators (at least most of us are savvy enough to understand that)

Agreed, but I still think I'll leave the final call to Dani. ;)

Hope past experience isn't the expectation...

I think James is using the term "unskinned" loosely ... The site is currently unusable. There is no navigation, for example. The registration page is incomplete. No features currently work as intended. While the back-end PHP code might look impressive, absolutely nothing can be gained from looking at the front end as it currently stands.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.