I am looking for a reasonably priced computer for sale (to build). I built one last year but pretty much returned everything in the end / tiger shipped half my items doa, short story short, I switched to newegg.

I have been watching the new am3+ with amd's 8-core cpu but I am not sure what I want myself and need advice. Their new APUs look cool with the on-board video but does it actually preform just as well as the card would? And when I order a video card in the future will it automatically do crossfire with it and my cpu / does it regulate me to only certain video cards (I read it does better with its brother series and such but wasn't sure).

I am looking for a build that is future proof (for at least 3ish years) as I do not want to completely buy a WHOLE computer again but maybe upgrade the graphics, or memory, mobo, etc at a time when needed.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If you want to futureproof it for a while as theres no such thing as futureproof, then go the AM3+ route, personally, if you were going for the Bulldozer, you would be better off going the 1155 route using the 2500k and 2600k, 8 cores may sound great, but its the quality of the cores that counts, also not many apps would make use of 8 cores, we run a small farm for rendering, and the 2500k beats the hell out of the AMD x6, and the X8 are not much faster than the X6.
It all depend on your usage, but the FM1 wont do SLI with the onboard 6xxx GPU, you need a board that will support SLI and then get two cards.

I am looking for a reasonably priced computer for sale (to build). I built one last year but pretty much returned everything in the end / tiger shipped half my items doa, short story short, I switched to newegg.

I have been watching the new am3+ with amd's 8-core cpu but I am not sure what I want myself and need advice. Their new APUs look cool with the on-board video but does it actually preform just as well as the card would? And when I order a video card in the future will it automatically do crossfire with it and my cpu / does it regulate me to only certain video cards (I read it does better with its brother series and such but wasn't sure).

I am looking for a build that is future proof (for at least 3ish years) as I do not want to completely buy a WHOLE computer again but maybe upgrade the graphics, or memory, mobo, etc at a time when needed.

I have been looking into this myself and after long digging I found a nice setup for me. I have ordered 8gb of G-Skill Ripjaws-X memory, 8core cpu 3,1 Ghz and as motherboard the Asus M5a99x Evo.

This mainboard is 1 of the top in its class and is said that its as good as its high end family: "Republic of Gamers" boards from Asus. this board doesn't have onboard graphics, but does have both SLi and CrossfireX support. I am going for a HD6870 and a HD 6850 in Crossfire.... for me this should hold it for the next 3 years, seeing my choice 3 years ago kept me gaming greatly till bf3 came out. It even runs Battlefield 3, but I noticed it has some problems with it. and my old motherboard aint running like it used to do.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.