The new format is terrible. No editing of posts is apparently available, some old (in last 2 days) articles are not accessible (404 errors). My advice, as a senior systems engineer for a tier-one world-wide engineering company? Roll back to the old version until you sort out this cruft! Until you do get it sorted out properly, I will no longer be contributing to these forums!

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

As a senior systems engineer for a tier-one world-wide engineering company, you must be familiar with the mutually exclusive goals of getting things perfect and meeting deadlines. There was immense pressure to get this system rolling before a hard and somewhat unreasonable deadline, and we'll be working equally hard to "sort out this cruft" as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy whatever alternative you choose for spending time that would otherwise have been spent on Daniweb.

There was immense pressure to get this system rolling before a hard and somewhat unreasonable deadline,

Huh? Ms Dani owns DaniWeb so there should be no pressure to upgrade, she is free to do what she wants when she wants to. Only Ms Dani makes the deadlines.

But I'm not about to stop visiting DaniWeb just because there are a few problems with it now. It's still a great community.

No editing of posts is apparently available

Editing of posts works fine? As always, you can only edit your post for up to 30 minutes after posting.

some old (in last 2 days) articles are not accessible (404 errors)

The site was in read-only mode for the last 2 days while we went through the migration process. Due to some permissions bugs in the old system, a couple of messages did slip through (fewer than 10, I believe). Unfortunately, those did not make it into the migration script.

Roll back to the old version until you sort out this cruft!

Our biggest issue was an unforeseen permissions problem that was taken care of already. Aside from some feature requests, we've launched pretty bug-free overall.

Huh? Ms Dani owns DaniWeb so there should be no pressure to upgrade, she is free to do what she wants when she wants to. Only Ms Dani makes the deadlines.

What about pressure from the mods who are pissed off about excessive spam from vBulletin bots? What about pressure from users about feature requests and bug fixes that are difficult or impossible due to the restrictions from the vBulletin back end? What about pressure from revenue loss due to development efforts of the new system causing a failure to keep up with SEO efforts? What about pressure to announce the new system near a Daniweb event as a means of advertisement? Owning the company doesn't alleviate outside pressure to set unreasonable deadlines.

But I'm not about to stop visiting DaniWeb just because there are a few problems with it now. It's still a great community.

Indeed. And the problems are temporary. Just consider them growing pains because the system is 100% new; we were expecting some unforseen issues to arise from higher volume than was used during development and testing. Anything less would be the height of stupidity. ;)

Editing of posts works fine? As always, you can only edit your post for up to 30 minutes after posting.

Wrong, at least, not right now. Editing of posts does not work (no button appears for it, unless it's now somewhere else that I can't find), and it's not a time matter, in one of my last posts I tried to edit less than a minute after, and there was not way to do so.

EDIT: After all, it seems that the edit post works, except that it doesn't appear immediately, I had to leave the thread and come back, just refreshing the page didn't do anything. Also, if you forget to enter something in the "reason for edit" your edit gets deleted! This time it didn't matter, but I bet people will be really annoyed by that really quickly.

The site was in read-only mode for the last 2 days while we went through the migration process. Due to some permissions bugs in the old system, a couple of messages did slip through (fewer than 10, I believe). Unfortunately, those did not make it into the migration script.

I think rubberman was referring to the fact that some old threads are simply not accessible at all. They show up in the thread list on the forums but when you click on them they pop a 404 error (due to excessive re-direction in the links, "This webpage has a redirection loop.", i.e., an infinite loop that the browser force breaks).

Also, what's up with the thread statuses? No longer shows the number of up/down votes on the thread's title (on the forum page). And the update of the main icon seems broken, you know the main icon that should show whether the thread is new, read, replied to, or if there was a new replied since you replied.

Bugs are normal, being aware of them is 90% of the work done.

All in all, it's a good update, love the new post editor and the design is slicker.

Wrong, at least, not right now. Editing of posts does not work (no button appears for it, unless it's now somewhere else that I can't find), and it's not a time matter, in one of my last posts I tried to edit less than a minute after, and there was not way to do so.

Actually it appears right next to the Flag Bad post Button at the top right of your post near the upvote/downvote counter

EDIT: just refresh the page and it would appear

Well, it has been a couple of years since this post. I have to say that folks at Daniweb did get their stuff together. It has been seriously improved, without messing up the interfaces and other cruft that worked. Good work folks! And thanks for all the fish! :-)

According to the graph in your member profile, it doesn't look as if you stopped using DaniWeb either ;)

Well, things got fixed. I was upset with the broken interfaces and needed to rant! These days, I am pretty much happy with how things are, so obviously things got resolved. :-) Anyway, belated apologies.

Member Avatar for Warrens80

I don't see how a person with "Stupendous Man" as his avatar could be so angry! ;)

I'm called 'happy' geek yet I'm nearly always pissed off.

So much for my theory that avatar and usernames reflect people's personality!

So much for my theory that avatar and usernames reflect people's personality!

I have no idea what you're talking about. Mine is a perfect match for my personality. :D

Really? then I'll make sure to stay on your good side!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.