Any way to make it optional in Control Panel so that those who don't want it can disable it and those who like it can keep it?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Nevermind -- it was not visible because of the font size I have. It reappears when I scroll font size smaller :)

I'd still like to have the option of making it go away; my view of Daniweb is widescreen enough without having the bar.

my view of Daniweb is widescreen enough without having the bar.

I'm not sure what you mean?

Oh, sorry what I mean is that I've got a widescreen-ish 1280x800 screen and when you add on the browser's address bar and tab area, a task bar, plus the ribbon, it makes it like I'm looking through a letter box.

EDIT: I just realised it's not as bad as it used to be; the header ribbon used to scroll with the page, reducing the viewport's height even further.

I just realised it's not as bad as it used to be; the header ribbon used to scroll with the page, reducing the viewport's height even further.

The header ribbon still scrolls at higher resolutions.

I tried to get rid of the bottom toolbar at lower resolutions, but I ended up getting too many complaints in a short period of time, so that didn't last very long.

What do you consider lower resolutions? I'm at 1440x900.

The top header only scrolls down the page with at least a browser window height of 900 pixels to avoid a "letterbox" feel with both a fixed header and footer.

If you resolution is 1440x900, you won't get the fixed header because your browser's toolbar taking up space would put you under the threshold of 900 pixels of viewable space. 950+ vertial pixels would probably be the crossover.

Dani- what happened to the response that letting users change the UI is against rules according to the UI Rule making people.... That's what I learned this week!

I'm not giving them profile settings that allow them to change the UI. I'm changing it for them based on their resolution.

Here's another.... if I run Opera minimised and with width set so that the horiz scrollbar appears, the navigation dropdowns don't appear..
I think the UI button are grossly oversized, as are headers. Is this made for mobiles, now, because it's an ugly interface on a desktop, not business-like, but... oh, I don't know... just unpleasing.
And Opera does not work at all well with markdown.

Not really much I can say to that one. Sorry you think it's ugly and unpleasing? :(

I don't use Opera and I've been resisting having to install it to test. Do I have to install it??

"Do I have to install it??" Not to please me.
Actually, "if I run Opera minimised and with width set so that the horiz scrollbar appears, the navigation dropdowns don't appear.." applies to FF also.
Unpleasing... too much space is given over to items which could be smaller and still have utility. But I think my biggest bugbear is the code detection thingy, as of old. It's too... diligent.
There seems to be an issue with OPs making long headers, too - they distort the layout, instead of wrapping.
Change can beget more work than is bargained.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.