After disassembling my Presario 2100 to resolder the DC jack, the computer no longer recognizes the touchpad, and the LEDs for 'on/standby' and 'battery charging' no longer work.

Strangely, the LED for hard-drive activity does work.

The touchpad ribbon cable is connected. I am 99.999% it is seated all the way because I triend re-inserting it many times.

External PS/2 mouse works just fine.

In the Control Panel > Mouse there is no choice for touchpad, only the PS/2 mouse (when it's attached).

*However* - in the Properties and other tabs, it says 'Synaptics TouchPad Properties Version 6.7.4' etc. and clicking on 'Settings' brings up the Synaptics window, which is what you would see when the touchpad was working. But instead of having all the advanced settings for touchpad features, it says 'Properties for Standard Mouse on PS/2 Port'.

There were never any problems or unusual behavior with the touchpad before.

I went into BIOS Setup and reset everything to the defaults.

What could be going on here? Could I have physically damaged anything? I have disassembled the laptop a couple times to clean out the fan and replace the keyboard, with no problems.

many thanks

system:
Compaq Presario 2100 AMD
XP
40Gb, 756 Mb RAM
3 or 4 years old

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

After disassembling my Presario 2100 to resolder the DC jack, the computer no longer recognizes the touchpad, and the LEDs for 'on/standby' and 'battery charging' no longer work.

The touchpad ribbon cable is connected. I am 99.999% it is seated all the way because I triend re-inserting it many times.

In the Control Panel > Mouse there is no choice for touchpad, only the PS/2 mouse (when it's attached).

*However* - in the Properties and other tabs, it says 'Synaptics TouchPad Properties Version 6.7.4' etc. and clicking on 'Settings' brings up the Synaptics window, which is what you would see when the touchpad was working. But instead of having all the advanced settings for touchpad features, it says 'Properties for Standard Mouse on PS/2 Port'.

What could be going on here? Could I have physically damaged anything? I have disassembled the laptop a couple times to clean out the fan and replace the keyboard, with no problems.

many thanks

system:
Compaq Presario 2100 AMD
XP
40Gb, 756 Mb RAM
3 or 4 years old

I'm having the EXACT same problem. Does anyone have a solution?

Please help.

please e-mail to samend@decorativeartsinc.com

THANKS!

HELP!

PLANETROCK, have you rec'd any e-mail responses on this or did you figure out what the problem was?

neither

nor did I get any replies at other laptop repair forums where I posted the same message: TechSupportGuy, AskLaptopFreak, HP...

i have the same problem on a thinkpad but with the little ball mouse thing

Often times, these cables are fragile and you could've easily broken some of the copper connectors on the inside of the cable by bending it on removal or re-insertion.

Given all the other facts of the situation, this is likely the case. Look into purchasing a replacement cable -- though an entire top assembly for your model laptop on eBay would probably be cheaper.

many thanks

system:
Compaq Presario 2100 AMD
XP
40Gb, 756 Mb RAM
3 or 4 years old

I had the same problem with my ASUS F3E. Solved it myself. I have recognized that the ribbon cable (AWM E118077 2896 80C VW-1) connecting Synaptics Touchpad and main board has been bent by myself when reassemble. It had caused three of the connectors disconnected ( i tested both ends with multi- tester.)

It is very difficult to find a spare cable (the same one) here in singapore.

So I got the duty myself to repair the cable.

Fortunately i had bent near the closer end to the main board. I removed the disconnected (about 1.5cm) part with a paper cutter. Rubbed 0.5 cm of the cut-end to bring up the copper-lead connectors (This has to be done extremely carefully - I also passed this second time).

There was an existing plastic pallette in the removed end. I glued the same under the newly rubbed end - so that the thickness of the end gets the same as original.

Fixed the connectors back making sure I do not bend it again badly.

Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaih!. It works guys. :)

But you have to have really good vision and confidence when doing the rubbing part. Because it can also remove the required metal lines in the ribbon. Make sure you have a very sharp paper cutter knife first.

Give it a try or else contact me if you need help. I'm in Singapore.

I fed up with my broken ribbon. Couldn't make it to work.
Got new one from www.2fix.net for less then $10
Working fine now.

I also have similar problem after fixing the graphic nvidia chip by Repairer. no light comes for touchpad and machine is working fine with external mouse.
-thx

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.