Here's an example of why all these games are a problem. They pollute the site. This is an example of clicking "Posts Since Last Visit". All this pointless activity is rendering portions of the site useless.

The bigger issue remains: why are we attracting users who like to spend most of their time here posting in these threads?

Recommended Answers

All 77 Replies

is that "all forums" or "this category"? When I look at "all forums" there are mostly IT forums displayed but also feedback and lounge threads.

I think there are only a handful of users who post in those silly games -- and some of the mods have posted in them too. I've even seen Ms. Dani a couple times, which is very very rare occasion. Rather than stop it probably having their own board in Coffee House would be better solution.

That was an "All Forums". Admittedly, the timing had to be just right for all of them to be Geek's Lounge threads, but that reinforces my point: way too much activity in balance to the rest of the site. It would be nice to have a way to exclude sections from certain searches (Today's Posts, Posts Since Last Visit). That would address the symptom though, and not the disease.

Your penchant for hyperbole makes it hard for me to take you seriously. You use words like "pollute" and "desease" to describe the problem as you see it. It makes your opinion seem less than objective, but maybe it is less than objective and that is your point? I honestly don't know.

But I do get the sense of some underlying motive for your comments about the quality of posts and how it affects this forum. I could be totally wrong, I'm just giving you my honest opinion, and maybe my perception of your motivation is wrong, but it comes across as negative and critical instead of helpful or insightful.

Of course my opinions are subjective. And "hyperbole" is exactly the right term, and it would be appropriate to imagine me saying much of what I say with a wry grin on my face. I do think the Geek's Lounge gamers are polluting the site, though - that much isn't an exaggeration and reflects exactly how I feel.

As to my motivation, I'm not sure what you want me to say. Perhaps if you told me what you think my motivation is, I could respond.

whats wrong with games? Reading about c++ gets boring sometimes

I get the sense that you are motivated by personal reasons, but what those reasons are I have no clue. Sort of like hearing two people arguing, you can tell they are angry or upset, but you have no idea why. It seems like you are upset about something more than just the quality or quantity of "geek" posts. But maybe not, maybe I am just getting the wrong impression. If I am, my apologies.

I do think the Geek's Lounge gamers are polluting the site, though - that much isn't an exaggeration and reflects exactly how I feel.

If you think the Geek's Lounge is a 'polluting' atmosphere, then don't go there! It's as simple as that. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you have the right to say it should be shut down. I truly believe that the Administrators, aka DANI, knows what she is doing!

No need to apologize. No, I have no personal axe to grind here. The only source of bitterness is IntelliTXT, a topic I've already exhausted, and which has nothing to do with the concerns about the changing atmosphere and member demographics of Daniweb.

When I say Daniweb has changed for the worse, that the quality of postings has deteriorated, that we're attracting non-technical members, and that the staff seems much more tolerant of all of the above - that's exactly what I mean and the only motive is to let the administration know about the concern, and provide others who might feel the same an opportunity to say "yeah, what he said".

look get greasemonkey a firefox externsion. It blocks intellitext.

If you think the Geek's Lounge is a 'polluting' atmosphere, then don't go there! It's as simple as that.

No, it isn't. Please re-read the original post in the thread; I'm not going to hash this out ad infinitum with you. If you don't understand or agree with my observations, that's fine. You're welcome to post your own feedback about how great Forum Games are and what a polluting influence tgreer is. What's great is that you'll get many to agree with you.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you have the right to say it should be shut down.

Sure I do. Everyone has the right to post whatever feedback they like, and even if they didn't, I have certainly earned the right to make observations about long-term trends on Daniweb.

I truly believe that the Administrators, aka DANI, knows what she is doing!

That's exactly my point. This trend isn't an accident, there is certainly a concious attempt to change the culture of the site. I'm providing feedback about that change.

I think there are only a handful of users who post in those silly games -- and some of the mods have posted in them too. I've even seen Ms. Dani a couple times, which is very very rare occasion. Rather than stop it probably having their own board in Coffee House would be better solution.

That sounds like a reasonable approach. I would also like the ability to "hide" that section from site searches.

No need to apologize. No, I have no personal axe to grind here. The only source of bitterness is IntelliTXT, a topic I've already exhausted, and which has nothing to do with the concerns about the changing atmosphere and member demographics of Daniweb.

When I say Daniweb has changed for the worse, that the quality of postings has deteriorated, that we're attracting non-technical members, and that the staff seems much more tolerant of all of the above - that's exactly what I mean and the only motive is to let the administration know about the concern, and provide others who might feel the same an opportunity to say "yeah, what he said".

OK, that explains your concerns (to me) much more clearly. That is perfectly reasonable and rational and very understandable.

look get greasemonkey a firefox externsion. It blocks intellitext.

Well, Dani made sure to include a "disable IntelliTXT" option in the User CP, since it seemed like such an issue with vastly different opinions. Without getting into the debate again, I'll point out that tgreer quit because of his personal feelings towards what other people see of his posts, not because he didn't know how to disable it.

And by the way tgreer, I agree with you on just about everything you've said so far.

Also in agreement with tgreer. And while the gaming crowd seems to stress the "lounge" part of it, I prefer to emphasize the "geek" part of it. At this point, I'm spending more time going to other forums when I want some intellectual off-topic discussions. The games are in the way and annoying to work around; putting them in a separate sub-forum is a good way to keep them isolated for those who really want them.

Well, it honestly just seems like tgreer just wants something to complain about. If anything is polluting, it is the negative responses to the Geek's Lounge. There are word games, yes, but there are also other intellectual discussions dealing with politics and religion. You should start looking at the positives. Think about it, I really doubt that Dani is going to close all the word games just because one person doesn't like them. Here's a good suggestion: If you don't agree with it or if you don't like it, then don't go to it. It's a very simple philosophy.

There's nearly half a dozen people that have voiced strong opinions against the games being in the Geek Lounge. Don't keep saying that only one person is complaining. And the point we're trying to make is that if we don't go to the GL, we'll go elsewhere. And take our business with us. Daniweb as a whole will suffer, and we don't what that to happen. We understand your point, we aren't against the concept of the word games. We just don't want them clogging up the space that we'd rather maintain a more selective material. And AFAICT nobody has complained against the discussions.

Well if there are so many people that hate the Geek's Lounge, and if DaniWeb will surely collapse, why hasn't anyone done anything about it? -Maybe because it's really not as big of a deal as people make it to be? I suggest that everyone should probably just let Dani handle this situation. And if you want to tell her about it, PM her! Don't continue to post these threads about how you hate the Geek's Lounge, just do it. That would be much easier, and you wouldn't be offending anyone in the process. I mean, don't you think you're 'clogging up space' by just adding more and more negative replies to this?

...I really doubt that Dani is going to close all the word games just because one person doesn't like them.

If you're going to participate in a thread, you should read all the posts within it.

Here's a good suggestion: If you don't agree with it or if you don't like it, then don't go to it. It's a very simple philosophy.

Thank you for the suggestion. When someone dumps their trash in my neighborhood, I'll remember that I can simply shut my eyes and not look at it. That'll make the smell go away.

In any case, I'm sure by now that Dani and Davey have read and understood my thoughts on the matter and will deal with the situation (if they even agree there is a "situation" to deal with) in their own manner. In other words, I've had my say, the people who need to hear it have heard, and so I feel no need to argue with you about it.

Well if there are so many people that hate the Geek's Lounge, and if DaniWeb will surely collapse, why hasn't anyone done anything about it? -Maybe because it's really not as big of a deal as people make it to be? I suggest that everyone should probably just let Dani handle this situation. And if you want to tell her about it, PM her! Don't continue to post these threads about how you hate the Geek's Lounge, just do it. That would be much easier, and you wouldn't be offending anyone in the process. I mean, don't you think you're 'clogging up space' by just adding more and more negative replies to this?

Maybe you should just read this post again. The part where is talks about 'PMing Dani.'

In other words, I've had my say, the people who need to hear it have heard, and so I feel no need to argue with you about it.

Then don't.

Maybe you should just read this post again. The part where is talks about 'PMing Dani.'

Dani is certainly aware of the problem. She's got a lot on her plate at the moment, but she's figuring out how she wants to handle the situation.

Dani is certainly aware of the problem. She's got a lot on her plate at the moment, but she's figuring out how she wants to handle the situation.

Okay, then why is everyone still arguing about it? If someone is doing something to try and fix the problem, then I think everyone should just stay calm for the moment and wade it out.

commented: you're the only one arguing -1

Okay, then why is everyone still arguing about it? If someone is doing something to try and fix the problem, then I think everyone should just stay calm for the moment and wade it out.

I agree. I think we've pretty much flushed out both sides by now, though I couldn't have said the same a few days ago.

Christina -- stop it!

No one is saying we should completely get rid of games. Just move them out of the Geek Lounge to a Game Lounge. That way us geeks can continue our geeky discussions because that's where we go for it! Telling us to not visit so you can play games is not productive, especially when a solution that works has been offered.

And here is where Dani gets her info on what we like and dislike, not from PMs. You think she wants a lot of whiney geeks PMing her? Not on your life!

As for "There are word games, yes, but there are also other intellectual discussions dealing with politics and religion", look at the facts:
Of the 25 posts on the first page, 13 are games. That's over 50%. And as far as I can tell, 3 discussions. Not very good odds. Used to be 3 games.

commented: what is wrong with u? don't go crazy! -1

What exactly is the problem with all these 'games'? Even if we did move them to a separate forum, these games would obviously still be the most active.. Besides, I think the geek's lounge is a perfect place for geeky games.. There are very few discussions in the geek's lounge anyway..

damn, whats up with only html tags working now.. ie. for italics, breaks, and underlining..

What exactly is the problem with all these 'games'? Even if we did move them to a separate forum, these games would obviously still be the most active.. Besides, I think the geek's lounge is a perfect place for geeky games.. There are very few discussions in the geek's lounge anyway..

damn, whats up with only html tags working now.. ie. for italics, breaks, and underlining..

As tgreer, WaltP, and I have been repeating lately, read what we're saying. There's nothing particularly wrong with the games, they're just poorly located. And, since you brought it up, they are hardly geeky. They physics game is the only one that could count as geeky IMHO, and it's almost off the first page.

*Bling* Battle apparently lost. Dani is in favor of the games. The kids get to rejoice, the ones who oppose are free to cower away.A straight end to a twisted tale.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.