Dani, just curious about a few things. For the tutorials, are they going to contain submissions from users as well? Or just administrators?

Are they going to be soley Java/C++ based? Or will there be other languages? HTML/XHTML/XML & CSS tutorials, or even tutorials for IDE's, and/or development methodologies (i.e. UML/SDLC) ? :idea:

In regards to code submissions, will this only be for code either constructed by the submitter or code with a known author? I mean I wouldn't want code submitted falsely under someone else, but I am just curious.

In any case, again congrats on the work. As Tekmaven has quoted a number of times, you breathe this place, and it should be noted that your work is looking great! :p

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Right now, here are my current plans/ideas for the tutorials. Feel free to let me know your input :) What I was thinking is that any user could submit tutorials online via either e-mailing me or via a textbox on a submission form, etc. They'd automatically just go into some form of a queue. Then, I'd play "editor" and format the article to look nice and publish it. My reasoning for doing this is that the tutorial software offerred now supports articles written in HTML, and I'd really like to keep all of the articles with the same uniform formatting. The software, however, DOES allow for multiple "editors" who can post stuff. So I'm not sure yet if I want to take advantage of that yet. Ideas are welcome.

The tutorials section - at least my goal - is to cover everything from newbie computing to advanced computing. How to use windows to how to use linux to how to build a computer to computer science to all computer programming languages. I'm going to create new categories as new tutorials are added.

As for code submissions, basically a repository of functions/methods/procedures/etc. The way it's set up now, anyone can post code. (The software was originally meant for a set of users to post, while anyone could view, but I hacked it so that there isn't even a login screen). As far as who can post code, this is basically determined by copyright laws, which I'm not exactly sure of. (Despite taking that damn Computer Ethics course which spent the whole semester talking about it). I would assume it would be alright to submit other's work so long as a copyright remains in the header comments, no? Or perhaps if it's GPL ?? I really don't know the law.

Well that sounds great. A huge amount of work mind you.

I like the tutorial idea, it has some real potential. And as far as the code snippets go, I think as long as recognition is give to the original creator (as you can improve their code... right?) it would still maintain legit submission standards.

Just a suggestion from other sites/forums I have been too, but commonly asked questions in the Forums often get put in either a tutorial type section or in a FAQ (properly edited and formated of course).

Just a suggestion...

Just a suggestion from other sites/forums I have been too, but commonly asked questions in the Forums often get put in either a tutorial type section or in a FAQ (properly edited and formated of course).

Just a suggestion...

The software I'm using for my tutorials actually has a built-in section where users can post questions, which admin's can respond to and turn into FAQs (forming the knowledge base). I disabled this feature because I want people to keep questions reserved for the forums.

I definitely plan to form tutorials out of repetitively asked questions in the forums. That's one of my major goals - it's just a matter of having the time to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.