Im kinda of a newbie to wireless networking however i have a few questions I cant seem to find the answers on the net.

given a good or worse Wireless PCI Adapter what is the maximum range they can communicate to wireless router inside a house. Guessing the house has insulation between the walls and steel support beams.

Will i ever get 11Mbps speed or with a G card will i ever get 54 Mbps speed? IS this speed ideal internet speed or LAN Speed?

will a USB Wireless G Adapter limit my bandwith to the speed of the USB protocol my computer is running?

Why do some wireless pci adapters have the chip on it exposed like this picture
AOPEN Wireless adapter

and other have the chip covered with a device like this Dlink Wireless Adapter
D-LInk Wireless Adapter

im also considered buying this Wireless card on ebay anybody has any comments or suggestion let me know. The price is very attractive

Xstersys Wireless Adapter

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Im kinda of a newbie to wireless networking however i have a few questions I cant seem to find the answers on the net.

given a good or worse Wireless PCI Adapter what is the maximum range they can communicate to wireless router inside a house. Guessing the house has insulation between the walls and steel support beams.

Will i ever get 11Mbps speed or with a G card will i ever get 54 Mbps speed? IS this speed ideal internet speed or LAN Speed?

will a USB Wireless G Adapter limit my bandwith to the speed of the USB protocol my computer is running?

Why do some wireless pci adapters have the chip on it exposed like this picture
AOPEN Wireless adapter

and other have the chip covered with a device like this Dlink Wireless Adapter
D-LInk Wireless Adapter

im also considered buying this Wireless card on ebay anybody has any comments or suggestion let me know. The price is very attractive

Xstersys Wireless Adapter

1. id say around maybe 100 ft at the most

2. inhouse? maybe but not online, uness you have a t3 at your house

3. yes, if your using usb 1.1 with a wireless G your not going to see more than 11.2 mbps

4. quality of the company, personally i dont think it matters all that much

5. id stick to brandname with wireless, when it comes to G, its not a standard, and it might not work unless you get that modles router correctly.

Hi,

First off, don't buy the wireless card on E-bay. It's just my personal experience that you don't wanna do that.

I use a Linksys Wireless B router and Linksys PC Card, so I can get 11mbps throughout my house, but I get better reception in some rooms than others. There are signal boosters for my router that would increase my range, but I don't really need it because I work at my desk most of the time. I've used the USB wireless adapters and gotten 11mbps, but that's about it. Lynksys is what I recommend, only because I use it and it works, but DLink has worked well for me in th e past too.

hi guys, i need help and your opinion about setting up wireless connection. i was planning to set up wireless connection in my place using either dial up connection or broadband. currently, i had 1 laptop with wireless pcmcia card installed on it and 1 desktop without wireless card. i was wondering is it possible to share internet connection, regardless either dial up or broadband connection, between my notebook and desktop wirelessly without router? i was thinking of this because i know that 2 computers can share internet connection through lan card, so can i do this with wireless card?
thanks, tututami.

id go broadband, its not to expensive and its really worth the speed boost, yes you can share dailup... but id never nver never recomend it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.