although learning new stuff is exciting, i feel exhausted to handle new knowledge, news, improvements, new technologies and so on.
WPF,WCF,Silverlight, .net framework 4.0 visual studio 10...
what amount of time as a software developer are we supposed to spend being with computer? 8 hours of regular full time work, 1 hour lunch break equals 9. commute to work 10, 8 hours of sleep 18, if you have a school the rest is only enough to do the school work.
so how one can keep up with the latest technology? besides, how one can find an intellectual girl friend of type Narue(just a class name in this context, not a subject reference to our known individual Julienne Walker) in the mean time?

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

>>what amount of time as a software developer are we supposed to spend being with computer?

24/7 :)

If you are in school and trying to work full-time too then your love like will suffer greatly. Take small vacations away from work frequently to help avoid burnout. And don't forget to go home at least once a year to visit family.

commented: Is that with Christmas then :P ? +9

Do you own your own espresso machine yet, smoke a carton a day, chew a bushel of khat and areca?
If you answered no to any of the above, then you're doing it wrong!

>>what amount of time as a software developer are we supposed to spend being with computer?

24/7 :)

If you are in school and trying to work full-time too then your love like will suffer greatly. Take small vacations away from work frequently to help avoid burnout. And don't forget to go home at least once a year to visit family.

in my f..king third world home, we have a mandatory military attendance which i havent done yet, if i get back home it is most probably i will be forcefully put in that thing behind doors for a period of time. about vacation, i dont know yet.

Do you own your own espresso machine yet, smoke a carton a day, chew a bushel of khat and areca?
If you answered no to any of the above, then you're doing it wrong!

i drink lots of coffee at work hence i dont want to have my own espresso machine to prevent possible heart attack. smoking i do in a moderate way. chewing a bushel is out of my english so i dont know about it.

in my f..king third world home, we have a mandatory military attendance which i havent done yet.

Well, what's stopping you? Go get it overwith, military will make a man out of you. We had that too when I was your age, and I stayed for 23 years :)

yeah but it is totaly bullshit to get all sort of people to serve in military. in USA you dont go to military as long as you dont want to, what is wrong with it? I thought you were from USA, what nationality are you?

I thought you were from USA, what nationality are you?

Military service in the US hasn't always been voluntary. The draft only stopped around 1980.

Stop being a wimp. And sleep 6 hours a day if you need more time.

commented: Meh, I just don't wanna end up like Serkan. -2

I don't feel exhausted by learning new stuff, but for me it's not really such an obligation. I'm still in school and do have some free time on my hands which I try to never waste. Admittedly I haven't really learnt anything "new" on the computer recently, especially now that i'm on holiday :P But I do try to do a variety of things, like learning the piano, the japanese language (which is really quite time consuming), play icehockey, and be with my friends when I can. :icon_lol:

I know it does feel like alot of effort to keep up sometimes, but if you can't cope with it, perhaps it's time for you to think of something better suited for you. After all, nobody's forcing you to be in this line of work. In fact, if these are the kinds of problems I will face when i'm older, maybe it's time for me to think of a different career for the future. :icon_eek:

commented: Hey I vote for you dude !!! Same case here !!! +2
commented: Man up, you wimp. If we all gave up at the slightest sign of hardship to "try somethin else", we'd be in for a rude surprise. -1

yeah i dont know how old are you but i am 2 years away from 30.

William, I wasn't trying to put you down; this is practically how everyone I know (not just programmers) feels about their work. There is never enough time, and we're always tired. They don't teach stuff like time-management in school because they need syllabus filler.

HFLE maybe...

>William, I wasn't trying to put you down
I didn't assume you were ;)

What I meant is I wouldn't want to have to learn a new language or keep up with all the latest languages constantly. Perhaps a job that requires low level hardware programming would be easier, I'm not saying you wouldn't need to learn anything new, but i'm sure it would be easier.

I just want to have a life as well, is that too much for a programmer to ask for?.. :( Heh, I'm sure i'll think up something.

i dont feel exhausted any more for some reason, that is why i mark this thread as solved :D

Military service in the US hasn't always been voluntary. The draft only stopped around 1980.

I do believe its only suspended. The government still keeps a list of people who are draftable.

I do believe its only suspended. The government still keeps a list of people who are draftable.

Yes, males at the age of 18-25 have to register with the Selective Service System, or be locked away for 5-years and fined a quarter-million dollars.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.