This isn't a specific question regarding a certain program or anything, so if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it. :confused:

I was just curious how long everyone here has been programming, and how long with C++? The reason I'm asking is I'm curious as to how long it took people like Narue to become as proficient as they are with the language. :P

I personally have been programming for ~4 years now, and worked with C++ for probably about 2-3 of those years. About the first two years were all on really basic console programs since I took a C++ class in high school and my first few classes in college were basic C++ courses.

Edit - Since plgriffith posted the other languages he's worked with, I guess I will too.

I've also worked with some Pascal, Assembly, SQL, Java, PHP, HTML and now starting to play around with Perl a little at work. I haven't really gone in depth with any of these languages though, C++ has always been my main focus.

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by stephen84s
Featured Replies
    vmanes 1,165   10 Years Ago

Off and on since 1983 or so. Classes in UCSD Pascal running on original IBM PC, Fortran and OS/370 Assembly on some hidden mainframe, oh, and MS BASIC. Later got a class in C, then C++, which most all I do today. Read More

I have been programming for five semesters now. At least one class each semester uses C++ so I would say I've been programming in C++ for about three years. I've also gotten to play around with Java, Scheme, MySQL, etc.

That sounds like exactly how I started out.

My high school offered Pascal and C++ and I started out with Pascal and then took the C++ course before I moved on to doing it in college, and now trying to make a career out of it. :P

hmm, not quite sure when I started programming.
It was using IBM Advanced BASIC on an IBM 5155 PC Portable, which was sold roughly in 1983/84. That makes well over 20 years now.

>I'm curious as to how long it took people like Narue to
>become as proficient as they are with the language.
About 10 years in C++, about 12 years total.

About 8 years on computers, 18 years if you count recreational algorithm invention not conducted on computers.

Have been programming for 4 years. I started programming during my college time. Learn quite a few language such as C++, Java, PHP, ASP.NET, C#. But all are mostly basic and hence not master in any of it.

C++ 2 Months
PHP - 5 Months
ASP - 1 Year
HTML - 1 Year
CSS - 5 Months
JS/DHTML/AJAX - 3 weeks
FORTRAN - 1 month
VB - 3 Months

That is my total so far, and i have been programming for no more then a year

^ 1980's cool. What language did you use back then? It must be really cool to see how programming evolved to the level it is today. I cant even begin to imagine.

^ 1980's cool. What language did you use back then? It must be really cool to see how programming evolved to the level it is today. I cant even begin to imagine.

I used HP (Hewlette Packard) Basic, which was more like a mixture of Pascal and Basic. A really nice language in its day, and data storage was on 8 1/2 inch glass diskettes that looked a lot like 33 1/3 RPM records\

Then we got our first real PC -- ran a whopping lightening-fast 128 mz cpu with 64k memory, two 5 1/2 inch single-sided floppy drives and no hard drive and MS-DOS version 1.0 which did not support sub-directories, everything was in the root folder. We got a C compiler (Lattice C) that all fit on one of the diskettes and the data was on the other disk. When I started a compile it took so long to finish that I went to another desk and read a book or did other things. That version of Lattice C implemented the original K&R style C programs.

Votes + Comments
Wonderful. One can really learn from a person with your level of experience.

2 1/2 years for me .... and i realise that it'll take me time to be a pro in c++ . In contrast i see people who use Java become proficient much quickly. There was a time i was thinking of shifting to Java(around a year back) but then stuck to c++ and now i'm in love with it. It's always so challenging....

I've been programming for 3 years. Mostly C (for uControllers), but also C++ and a little bit of VB.net & PHP.
Made my first program 15 years ago on a Commodore 64.

10 print "Hello!"
20 goto 10

;)

That makes no sense at all Technogeek!

Technogeek's posts rarely do ;)

I've been programming for 3 years. Mostly C (for uControllers), but also C++ and a little bit of VB.net & PHP.
Made my first program 15 years ago on a Commodore 64.

10 print "Hello!"
20 goto 10

;)

Technogeek's posts rarely do ;)

and Y do u say it so...?

and Y do u say it so...?

Because it's true. Look:

C++ = more basic in 1 semester.....
C lang = C++
vb6=C++
qbasic = C++

What do you mean with this?

Here's another one:

he's right but why don't try to try the one to do that and share it hir in this forum

I know English isn't your native language, but a lot of your posts are impossible to decipher

Off and on since 1983 or so. Classes in UCSD Pascal running on original IBM PC, Fortran and OS/370 Assembly on some hidden mainframe, oh, and MS BASIC. Later got a class in C, then C++, which most all I do today.

I know English isn't your native language, but a lot of your posts are impossible to decipher

Not that they'd probably be worth reading even if they were decipherable...

sorry about that but it is true that my teacher me hir in phlippines in just a semester and all of that language is only one semester but is just a basic

even Bablefish would do a better job of translating from your lingo into English than you do.
Its output is at least syntactically correct.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.