This is the most retarted question ever, but I just have to ask it. Does any one have any good suggestions for passwords? I need some passwords for email accounts, among other things.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I don't see a purpose in going overboard with a huge password you can't remember, but it's all up to you. Add some numbers and what not. For financial and very important administration accounts, then yes, I would have a password that requires you to write it down. Basically, it's up to you ;) I'm sure you know what's dumb (ie: 12356) and what's not.

For most things, I use names of sports teams, with numbers at the end.

But like server_crash said, if it's for anything somewhat important, I would make it necessary to write down.

This is the most retarted question ever, but I just have to ask it. Does any one have any good suggestions for passwords? I need some passwords for email accounts, among other things.

if its to senistive or stuff you need to keep secure, you should always use words that dont always relate to you, for example if you support the la lakers, you could try using the torronto maple leafs - perhaps with the midsection of your phone number at the end! :lol:

For most things, I use names of sports teams, with numbers at the end.

Funny. I use sports players and since I like hockey most of them happen to be really weird names, so it works out for me none the less.

I like to use mnemonics, replacing numbers with letters, and then I'll add punctuation for it. The only thing is, though, once you publish a password, it becomes a poor choice for a password.

For instance, I could take the phrase "DaniWeb is a great forum!" and make it into a password:

D@Wiagr84m!

That's a pretty nice long password, it's easy enough to remember if you can remember the phrase you based it off of, and the addition of punctuation makes it that much harder to crack.

...Of course, like I mentioned, I wouldn't ever consider using this as a password, now. Spiders crawl the web, and they make dictionaries out of words to use for brute-force cracking. So, pick something like my example, and don't tell ANYONE!

this is weird. i ask about something so simple and here i got 5 replies, yet when i ask about something more complex, i usually get one or two and it takes days.

Cuz motht uf uth ur kinda thtupid; we don' know no nutin bout none dem com-plex tings.

:mrgreen:

(Secure passwords: at least eight characters, consisting of a mix of upper-case & lower-case letters, numerals, and special characters. acl6379's example is a good one.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.