Recently, the U.S. Senate approved a bill that would instill a radical change over the United States' immigration policy.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501548.html

"the measure calls for 370 miles of triple-layer fencing along the Mexican border, a complicated three-tiered system for determining who can stay and who must leave the country, and more jail cells for those awaiting deportation. It would declare English the country's national language, a gesture that many advocates found insulting but accepted in hopes of helping millions of undocumented workers achieve legal status."

I had been aware of this issue for some time, but it was discussed indepthly on MSNBC a little while ago, and I was wondering what the Daniweb community thought about this ordeal.

Personally, I am supportive of declaring the U.S. official language as English, because it is the language that the majority of the population speaks. I think we should not post anything (signs, t.v. commercials, etc.) in any language except for English... since this is America, and the least you can do is learn to speak our language (our you can get the hell out)...

As for helping the millions of illegal immigrants gain citizenship, I am strongly against.. Every single American has had relatives that immigrated to the United States (for the most part), and all of our ancestors had to go through rigorous tests and many years of citizenship classes before they actually gained their citizenship.. So, what the hell is the difference now? Why should millions of the mexican illegal immigrants get citizenship status when all they did was sneak into this country? Most can't speak English, are very uneducated, and are dirt poor. Why give these people citizenship? They should have to go through the same process that our ancestors did.. These damn immigrants sneak into our country illegally, and they are nothing but a strain on our economy! They receive free health care, welfare, free schooling, etc.. All they do is waste the American tax payer's money, and I am sick and tired of it..

Also, the proposed legislation will end up costing America about $126 billion dollars!

Post your thoughts on this issue..

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Personally, I am supportive of declaring the U.S. official language as English, because it is the language that the majority of the population speaks. I think we should not post anything (signs, t.v. commercials, etc.) in any language except for English... since this is America, and the least you can do is learn to speak our language

Agreed.

As for helping the millions of illegal immigrants gain citizenship, I am strongly against.. Every single American has had relatives that immigrated to the United States (for the most part), and all of our ancestors had to go through rigorous tests and many years of citizenship classes before they actually gained their citizenship.. So, what the hell is the difference now?

A vast potential Hispanic vote.

Also, how much trouble would it be to add an 'undecided/unsure' option to your poll? I'm in favor of part of the bill, but not all of it, and I am a non-apathetic American citizen...none of the current options are suitable for me, really.

A vast potential Hispanic vote.

Very true. The democrats want this for a purely political reason.. more democrats to vote in their favor.

Also, how much trouble would it be to add an 'undecided/unsure' option to your poll? I'm in favor of part of the bill, but not all of it, and I am a non-apathetic American citizen...none of the current options are suitable for me, really.

Ah, sorry.. It won't let me edit the poll anymore.. I always try to think of every possible answer choice, but there is always something left out.. :-/

What's everyone else's view on this..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.