>> Which makes no sense... A permalink to a deleted post or a see post #5 equals the same thing... A reference to nowhere..

But if you had linked to #5 and I delete post #2, #5 now becomes #4, so you'd be referring to the wrong post. This is not a problem with permalink.

>> and here is the funny thing... Ancient Dragon's thread (bug or feature), POST #1 in this thread [...] has a link that goes nowhere!!!

The link works for me?

The post count # was removed because I don't want people referencing things like "Check out post number 5" because moderators see deleted posts, and posts can be split/merged, etc. so a post that is #5 today might not always be #5. Especially if individual posts in a thread get deleted.

But I thought deleted posts weren't really deleted. So if post #3 was deleted, wouldn't the post numbers show 1,2,4,5,6? Or would they be renumbered? IMO, they should not be.

I actually used the post numbers during mod duties as well as answering Q's. I'd like to see them back.

>> Which makes no sense... A permalink to a deleted post or a see post #5 equals the same thing... A reference to nowhere..

But if you had linked to #5 and I delete post #2, #5 now becomes #4, so you'd be referring to the wrong post. This is not a problem with permalink.

Now really, how often does this happen? And if the post was deleted, it couldn't be that hard to display an "Inactive Post" or "Deleted Post" message. And I still say, post #5 should always be post #5. It's not like people study post numbers to catch discrepancies. And if there is no post #2, it's fairly obvious that it's been deleted, isn't it?

But how does that help me find the post? I don't know how to find post 1221433. Maybe I'm dumb and there is something totally intuitive about this system, but it seems like the only way to use it is to search through the posts, highlighting the "permalink" button on each one, until I find 1221433. Oh, btw, I actually just tried to do that, but 1221433 is a long number, and I forgot the number almost as soon as I started looking for the post.

Right-Click and "Copy Link Location" and you don't have to remember anything. Then paste the copied link and when it's posted I'll bet you can click on it to get to the specific post.

>>Now really, how often does this happen?

Almost never actually. I wasn't defending the "permalink", I was just trying to explain what Dani meant in her previous post.
Personally I liked the post-numbers better, but I don't care enough to join the discussion :)

>The link works for me?

Took me to a report error page... "Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

so you must have followed my link, but not the link in ancient dragons 1st post... which would be http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post1221606.html#post1221606

>But I thought deleted posts weren't really deleted. So if post #3 was deleted, wouldn't the post numbers show 1,2,4,5,6? Or would they be renumbered? IMO, they should not be.
>Now really, how often does this happen? And if the post was deleted, it couldn't be that hard to display an "Inactive Post" or "Deleted Post" message. And I still say, post #5 should always be post #5. It's not like people study post numbers to catch discrepancies. And if there is no post #2, it's fairly obvious that it's been deleted, isn't it?

I agree WaltP.

>Personally I liked the post-numbers better, but I don't care enough to join the discussion

Ahhh, errr, uhmmm, I believe you have :) :) :)

>> so you must have followed my link, but not the link in ancient dragons 1st post... which would be [...]

That's the link I was talking about, and it works for me?

>> Ahhh, errr, uhmmm, I believe you have

You tricked me into it ;)

That's the link I was talking about, and it works for me?)

It's probably deleted and you can see it because you're a mod in that section. It's not accessible to me either.

Nick posted-That's the link I was talking about, and it works for me?)
well It's not accessible to me either. this came up "Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" Later---

You're all right. The thread got deleted (flooding) and because I'm a mod, I can still see it. Sorry for the confusion guys, my fault. :icon_neutral:

Well with all things considered, I think dani (and crew?) has done a fine job in fixing those bugs, problems, and complaints in most of these threads here lately. However with that said, I also presently believe that the last problem of this thread, post # vs permalink, will probably not be resolved even with my suggestion of putting the permalink behind the post #. Well that and the prapble (purple) coloring scheme...

BTW: Mr. Wonka is very dissapointed with you Dani. All of his umpa lumpa's are weak, tired and unable to work from the massive bleeding you gave them to color this site... :) :) :)

WE WANT OUR POST #'s BACK!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.