Yesterday I received a "Site Temporarily Unavailable" message on daniweb.com. The instructions asked to send an email to inform Dani of the problem. I bet that almost no one actually does this. Would it make sense to add a button that simply says "click here to report the problem" and automatically generate this email? While I've never had a problem with daniweb.com uptime, this would probably help identify the problem asap.

Dave

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If DaniWeb is unavailable then how would it generate an email??? The admins probably already know about the problem so generating hundreds of emails to them would do nothing more than fill up their email box.

The same way it generated the message telling me to email Dani? haha

Every time there is a "Unavailable" message, an email is automatically generated and sent anyway. The reason we ask you to also send an email on that page, is just in case there are issues with the web servers that cause them not to send those messages. I'll talk with Dani about the wording of the message, maybe including the fact that one has already been sent.

I would guess that very few people actually send an additional email, to be honest. Probably something just saying 'the site owners have been notified of the problem' would be sufficient IMO.

Yep, I'd agree with happygeek. I am one of those over-diligent people that felt inclined to follow the directions :). Had the directions said "do nothing, they site owners have already been notified" I would have been quite content to do nothing :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.