So I added a new feature to DaniWeb over the weekend that shows your member rank in your member profile. So just go to your member profile and you can see where you rank among all DaniWeb members in terms of your post count, your reputation, and your number of solved threads. The rank is actually a link to a full page showing where you rank.

Sooo ... where do you rank? What do you think? Encouraging? Discouraging? Surprising? Interesting?

happygeek commented: Nice idea +0
Agapelove68 commented: Awsome motivation tool, to encourage even the most experiaced computer users and gives us initiative to be more diligent. Especially when unfamiliar with DaniWebs forum. :) +0

Recommended Answers

All 57 Replies

I see another new stat too -- number of activity points. I have never noticed that before, and assume it's reset to 0 each day. Might be interesting to have a link that would show a graph of total activity points for each day over the past month or so. Or maybe totals by week/month over a longer time period.

Might be interesting to see some site-wide averages -- average number of posts per day for members who have made one or more posts during the past 24 hours.

Yup ... activity points are in your member profile and also on the top list page. They are also a new feature added over the weekend. More coming with them in the future :)

What do you think??

#32 by reputation, #6 by solved threads and #4 by post count :)

#177 by reputation, #34 by solved threads and #69 by post count.

I Hope this will trigger a lot more "solved threads".

I am #18 by reputation, #13 by solved, #2 by post

>>What do you think??
Nice to know stats for regular members, but probably not much value to new ones.

Updating my profile is worth 5 points??? All I have to do to get more Actrivity Points is to to do the edit profile screen, scroll down and click Save button. I did it twice without actually changing anything and got 10 activity points.

Well, I'm apparently pretty active - but I already knew that :)

Good idea though, user stats are always cool and if they encourage more active participation that's a good thing. I like the idea of eventually adding achievements/badges and competition prizes just for folk who have earned enough points.

Good community building stuff.

#4 by rep. This only proves that rep means nothing :) I see a lot of people with lower ranks, with *a lot* greater knowledge than myself. :)

Reporting a post should give a lot of activity points, maybe this will motivate members even more to help us moderating.

[edit]
And something is wrong with the rep (I've mentioned this before). I got an enormous bump somewhere last year (like 1000 points) and now I see that Grimjack has 1438 points. He only posts in the Geeks' lounge where rep doesn't could. Or did this change and does lounge-rep now count?

Encouraging people to flag bad posts by giving activity points is one of the real pluses as far as I am concerned, all helps make life easier for the mods. Giving those who do flag bad posts some rep doesn't hurt either.

> Nice to know stats for regular members, but probably not much value to new ones.
Why not?

Because with only one or two posts new members are so far down the list that they might be ranked #90,000 or something. They will be only interested in obtaining an answer to their posted question, not in any of the stats that appear in the user profile. And once they get that information we will probably never hear from them again.

Because with only one or two posts new members are so far down the list that they might be ranked #90,000 or something. They will be only interested in obtaining an answer to their posted question, not in any of the stats that appear in the user profile. And once they get that information we will probably never hear from them again.

I'm think these measures/highlights have not been put for those who come with a fixed mindset of harvesting help and never visiting again. This IMO seems more of a boost to those who are mildly interested in contributing to the community, more like a gentle push and excitement to become part of the community and gain activity points.

#4 by rep. This only proves that rep means nothing

A community driven stat would of course make sense in the context of the community. Someone who has the highest rep points just means that he/she has made the highest number of technical posts which were favoured by the reputed/established members of the community, nothing more, nothing less. But then again, I guess you already knew that... :-)

Sanjay is right in that the activity points, reputation system, top rankings, etc. are not directed towards the one-timers who are just coming for a quick answer and then leaving. Instead, they are meant as enticement and encouragement for anyone new to our community or interested in being a bigger part of our community.

When you click on the rank from your member profile, the resulting page is customized just for you. So if you rank #220, it will show you what it takes for you to be among the top 200. The idea, hopefully, is that members will be encouraged to see it only takes an additional five posts to jump from ranking #400 to top #350, for example.

Here's an example of what the page looks for blud, our sysadmin: http://www.daniweb.com/certificates/stats.php?u=6790

He has a respectable 546 posts under his belt and has solved 18 threads to rank #420 for solving threads. But it might be encouragement for him to see that he only needs to solve two more threads in order to jump up to rank #389.

It might also be interesting for him to see other members who participate a similar amount to him, and click into their profiles to see what their interests are and how they utilize the site that is different from him.

As far as newbies are concerned, the ranking statistic makes the system a little more comprenehsible. For example, a newbie might see that a member has 1,000 reputation points, but has no idea whether that is considered a lot or a little in our system. Being able to see where they actually rank (i.e. top 10 or top 10,000) makes the number all that more meaningful.

Here's an example of what the page looks for blud, our sysadmin: http://www.daniweb.com/certificates/stats.php?u=6790

He has a respectable 546 posts under his belt and has solved 18 threads to rank #420 for solving threads. But it might be encouragement for him to see that he only needs to solve two more threads in order to jump up to rank #389.

Except solved threads are 'controlled' by the OP, not one who answers a query. Unless you're suggesting blud find an unsolved thread and click it to solved himself :icon_twisted:

As far as newbies are concerned, the ranking statistic makes the system a little more comprenehsible. For example, a newbie might see that a member has 1,000 reputation points, but has no idea whether that is considered a lot or a little in our system. Being able to see where they actually rank (i.e. top 10 or top 10,000) makes the number all that more meaningful.

Even better, if 3 members attempted to help him, noticing that 1 is in the top 100 and the other two are 843 and 1224, maybe the first member has better creds and might have better suggestions. Not always, but generally :icon_wink:

> Except solved threads are 'controlled' by the OP, not one who answers a query. Unless you're suggesting blud find an unsolved thread and click it to solved himself

It was just an example. You have direct control over your posts and not your reputation or solved counters, but there is still motivation there because generally speaking a really good poster will end up with all three statistics being good.

How does joshSCH (banned member) who contributed nothing end up so high on the rep tree?

> How does joshSCH (banned member) who contributed nothing end up so high on the rep tree?

I would tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. In all seriousness, joshSCH has received rep MANY times from christina>you, jbennet, John A, iamthwee a LOT, Dave Sinkula a lot of times, happygeek a handful of times, and a bunch of times from Rashakil Fol, Wolfpack, Aia, Duki, Sulley's Boo, Ezzaral, The Dude, peter_budo, Salem, Nichito, scru ... The list goes on and on. Apparently YOU were just about the only person who has never given him any rep at some point :)

I think all of it was accumulated in the days where rep counted in the lounge as well.

Yes, when rep stopped being counted in the lounge, it was just from that point forward. Everyone kept their existing reputation.

joshSCH was, at one point, a decent member of the DaniWeb community and his contributions worthy of rep. Then he went off the rails and ended up being banned, many times. Sad, but there you go.

Apparently YOU were just about the only person who has never given him any rep at some point :)

See. I must have seen through him from the start :)

joshSCH was, at one point, a decent member of the DaniWeb community and his contributions worthy of rep. Then he went off the rails and ended up being banned, many times. Sad, but there you go.

And the result of that imo, should be the removal of ALL benefits, rep included.
Same for every banned member.

I don't disagree, for those on permabans such as Josh. Other bans are time limited and members should be given a fair chance to reform their ways.

#4 by rep. This only proves that rep means nothing :)

You're much too modest.

I'm also in the top 50 for rep, post count, and solved threads. Like Nick, looking at most of the other members in those ranks I feel that my knowledge definitely is dwarfed, but of course, this is relative.

Anyway, Dani, I remember being upset before when I visited, but it has been awhile since I've been active (due to finishing college, now work). I apologize for any previous offensive comments I made. And I have to say, I'm impressed by the site and the work you and (possibly others) have done with it.

Still hate the purple.

:p

100% awesome. I did notice that by reporting bad posts is making life easier, thanks for that. I suppose this will be the solution to the age old problem on how to control bad/hijacked posts.

As ancient mentioned, there are a few glitches though. All I have to do to earn 2 points is to log off, re-login and viola, 2 points scored. I am normally logged in automatically, which does not give any points.

You know, since day one, I've tried to avoid looking at the reputation system as if it were some kind of a video game. It seems to be in bad taste and undermines the point of being part of the community.

... but this feature makes that really hard. I guess all we need now are achievements! :)

That being said, being around 250 in rep and 1500 in post count characterizes my personality pretty well: I don't speak up very much unless I think I know the answer.

The personality characterization thing is an interesting angle.

I'm not in the top twenty for rep (#28) or number of posts (#21) or solved threads (#483) as I'm not the most visible member of the community. However, I do beaver away for many hours each week 'behind the scenes' as it were, replying to member PMs, participating in the closed moderating forums and dealing with reported posts (spam, rule breakers, disputes and general forum housekeeping) as well as writing reviews and the like, which is probably why I am sitting at #1 for both cumulative activity points and daily activity points.

I'm the same 'in real life' most of the time: stuck away in my office at home out of the way while researching articles, writing copy, answering client emails etc.

Seems that it is where I lost out (Lounge).:)

It was just an example. You have direct control over your posts and not your reputation or solved counters, but there is still motivation there because generally speaking a really good poster will end up with all three statistics being good

Not necessarily. I have posted most of the solutions (emphasis on most and not all) in VB6 during the past few months. The only thing that really creped up was my posting count and solved thread count. I don't know if posters don't see the rep arrows, or they just don't know what it is for, I have basically discarded rep as a motivator.

Makes one think...

Member Avatar for diafol

Once you achieve a certain level of kharma, do these stats even register? I reckon the top 20 (top 50??) have transcended beyond the trappings of rep. Do I want to improve my posting level (currently #39). Well, to do that, I'd have to post an extra 24 posts, taking that #38 doesn't post any more in that period. Gawd, I've got better things to do. I'm also in danger of slipping off the reputation (#99) hall of fame. Not much I can do about that. Solved (#28) - seems to be a distinct difference between solved and rep. That because I piggyback on the genius of others? No, it's because OPs don't often bother with the old rep thingy (in php forum anyway). Indifference is killing me. I will endeavour to stop posting, stop being helpful and certainly start annoying people (to get neg rep), so that I drop out of the top 100 for everything, thereby, circumventing the evil ego! This may take some time.

commented: :) +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.