I had a good idea, but not sure entirely how to go about it since the api can't do exactly what I would need it for.

What was that? Maybe I can help you come up with an alternative??

Well I might as well put in my code samples as entries...

WOW, for now pritaeas is going to take the first place price and Im going to take the second? :P

Well considering riahc3 and you are the only two people who have submitted entries so far, and there are going to be 3 winners, I'm pretty sure you'll be one of them based on how things stand right now.

Member Avatar for diafol

I'm developing a VB.NET win app for the api and the irc with a built-in browser. :)
God, I forgot how convoluted .net is. :(

Haha nice one, diafol. Is the IRC client thingy going to be aware of who is currently logged into the site and match that up with which usernames are currently logged into the IRC server?

Perhaps I'll make a run for 1, 2 and 3 :D

:(

From what diafol just posted, guess Ill be third now :(

From what diafol just posted, guess Ill be third now :(

Maybe, if he doesn't take all three spots...

Well considering riahc3 and you are the only two people who have submitted entries so far, and there are going to be 3 winners, I'm pretty sure you'll be one of them based on how things stand right now.

Related to what pritaes just posted, can more than one entry per person count? Mines were just simply examples but since noone else has submitted anything....

I ask because whatever pritaes makes will obviously be better and Ill be left out of the contest...

whatever pritaes makes will obviously be better and Ill be left out of the contest

Thank you for your confidence, but this time the competition is about the end result, not the code. I am not a designer (I don't even like to design).

Member Avatar for diafol

Haha nice one, diafol. Is the IRC client thingy going to be aware of who is currently logged into the site and match that up with which usernames are currently logged into the IRC server?

I can't see a way of doing that at this time. The api doesn't keep a logged-in field does it?
Anyway, this will be a long-term project, it will in no way be ready by the contest deadline.
As for other side projects, nothing there to submit. So just pritaeas and riahc3? Anybody else?

Mike and Ket were talking about something too on IRC, so let's hope they find some time.

Member Avatar for diafol

I bet you two are twitching now, eh? Amazon goodies!

I can't see a way of doing that at this time. The api doesn't keep a logged-in field does it?

You can fetch http://www.daniweb.com/api/members and it's a list of members sorted by their last activity time (data->last_visit_timestamp).

Just because I haven't submitted mine yet, doesn't mean I don't have a chance. I still have a month.

dani can you increase duration of competition by 2 weeks or so.I m a bit involved in my app for now.It will take a week or two after that i will start working for this competition.Or else riahc3 ,diafol and pritaeas will take those rewards. Let me take third. :'(

I am seriously considering extending the competition because it seems that the first few weeks were spent learning the API and creating frameworks around it, as opposed to developing the meat of an application.

Just because I haven't submitted mine yet, doesn't mean I don't have a chance. I still have a month.

That's the spirit.

dani can you increase duration of competition by 2 weeks or so.I m a bit involved in my app for now.It will take a week or two after that i will start working for this competition.Or else riahc3 ,diafol and pritaeas will take those rewards. Let me take third. :'(

Well, in fairness to other members, The API has been here about a month and so has the contest. Extending wouldnt be fair to others who have worked on the API (such as pritaeas; my entry is more of a mock as I know a code sample has no way of winning) because those others who have submitted a entry, now have to improve on their work to make sure they win...

I am seriously considering extending the competition because it seems that the first few weeks were spent learning the API and creating frameworks around it, as opposed to developing the meat of an application.

As I mentioned to IIM, pritaeas would for example better his app to make sure he wins (I dont care about my entry as its more of a mockup than anything; The more entries the better)

But if you do extend it, lets see it promoted more so we can get some people involved!

get some people involved!

This is what I miss too. I had expected more interest, especially since there were examples on how to use the API from early on. Apart from that, my API wrapper is not an entry, anyone is free to (ab)use it.

I think that an extension would be a good idea, the more people entering the better at the end of the day.

I think that an extension would be a good idea, the more people entering the better at the end of the day.

For DaniWeb of course. For the developer who wants $300 in Amazon, no :P

I hate you Dani :P I have to update both snippets....

I have an app in the works :)

What I would like to know, is what will happen when in comes to submissions that do the same thing. I mean, what if everyone develops mobile apps, or apps that are geared to displaying posts. Can we at least agree that maybe each winner should have a unique entry. Just a thought.

Do you mean if multiple developers code the same thing?? Since you can code just about anything and everything, and everything will work a different way, I don't think that will happen :)

I just meant that if someone creates something that is 100% unique, something that nobody else thought of, I hope that will play a good part in judging.

Well the community is going to vote. It's not up to me to decide who wins.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.