Just a suggestion for anyone looking for a (probably) challenging app using the daniweb api. How about displaying a map of the world showing the location of danaweb users? Depending on what info is available via the api this could be restricted to users with a minimum number of posts or those who have posted/logged on within a given number of months.

Even a simple list by country or a pie chart would be interesting.

Depending on what info is available via the api this could be restricted to users with a minimum number of posts or those who have posted/logged on within a given number of months.

It would be all members who logged in within the past 3 months.

ah shame it doesnt go back further than 3 months, couldve been fun to make a timed heat map of all the posts since launch!! :P

how about an app that filters all posts where initial poster doesnt include sample code or error messages ? ;)

You can fetch all posts since launch. The three month limit is just limited to the last 3 months worth of members who have logged in.

Deadline: August 31st

Are we only supposed to submit completed projects, or can we post incomplete projects while still working on them so we can get some early feedback?

I'd be glad to give feedback!!!! :)

Competition projects don't need to be complete but they should at least be functional enough to be rated. :)

So when do we find out the winners?

Member Avatar for diafol

How many submissions?

BTW:

Just a suggestion for anyone looking for a (probably) challenging app using the daniweb api. How about displaying a map of the world showing the location of danaweb users? Depending on what info is available via the api this could be restricted to users with a minimum number of posts or those who have posted/logged on within a given number of months.

Would have loved to do something with geolocation/hotspots - but for that need reliable geolocation data. Don't think IP addresses are available for members and the geoloc strings like 'Lawn Guyland' wouldn't be much use :)

So when do we find out the winners?

Waiting on Davey to get back from his vacation.

@diafol:- i started working on the same.Getting user info and showing data based on location,got a part of it working but not too accurate.I wish instead of direct location dani can add atleast to select country in registration process otherwise too difficult for accuracy.
Only reason i can't submit it is,because it is not completed to proper extend so as it can be judged.Will work on improving it and then send it to dani in few days.

We do fetch the country based on IP address in the registration process. However, this isn't something that we open up as public information. You can fetch the information about the logged in user using www.daniweb.com/api/me

Member Avatar for diafol

Somehow my half-baked class for using the API has found its way into the tag result for submissions. I really can't remember using that tag. Could I be excused that entry please - it's a bit embarrassing. Did somebody change the tag or was it me?

Davey submitted your entries into the competition while you were tending to more important matters. hint hint

Member Avatar for diafol

I see. Thank you/him. However, its not worthy of an official entry. I was previously toying with a code scraper as a chrome extension, I may dust it off now that things are a bit easier. Too late for the comp, but still fun.

Member Avatar for diafol

Who won?
Can we try it out?

From the Daniweb Digest newsletter this month:

We are very pleased to announce the winners of the API competition which was launched earlier in the year to help raise awareness of the new and very robust DaniWeb API available to developers.

Because both Coreyavis and Pritaeas came up with equally amazing finished products, we decided to make them joint winners and split the $300 Amazon Gift Voucher prize between them so they will be getting a $150 voucher each.

Coreyavis developed the excellent DaniWeb Birthdays app, a calendar that displays the birthdays of DaniWeb members! He tells us that future planned features for the app include the ability to add your birthday to the calendar if it's not included, to remove your birthday if you wish to not take part, a full list of members with birthdays on selected day and better search functionality amongst others.

Pritaeas developed a number of API apps including the following: DwArticleWatch which shows the 10 latest articles (which can filtered using a dropdown), DwRssDashboard which provides an overview of the newest five items per (sub)forum and DwWatchedArticles to show your watched articles.

Diafol and riahc3 also both spent a lot of time working with our API, and came up with some great code snippets and frameworks that lay the groundwork for others to build from. So we decided to combine the second ($125) and third ($75) prizes and split this between the two of them to give each of these guys $100 vouchers.

Congratulations one and all for highlighting both your own enthusiasm and skill, and the flexibility of the DaniWeb API.

Member Avatar for diafol

Ah. For some reason, I don't get the newsletter. Well done everybody.

So when do the winners get their prizes?

Sorry for the delay, guys. I've been having a really treacherous month with migraines about every other day.

That blows. My wife used to get those frequently when she was much younger. Not so much now (maybe one a year) and not as severe. Do you get spots in your vision as a precursor? Tingly hands? Sometimes she wouldn't be able to talk if one was coming on. Almost like she had had a stroke.

Yeah I get really bad tunnel vision. I've never not been able to talk but I definitely have a hard time having words come to me, and then I try to think about what the word is, and my head is just too cloudy to be able to process information. Lately I've been getting migraines about 3X a week, and I'm usually left totally incapacitated the entire day. It hasn't been this bad since college. I was actually doing good for quite a handful of years with only one or two a month!

Erk, that sucks. I've had a headache every day for the last month (four weeks today in fact) - sometimes bad enough to require a day off work, mostly spent in bed in a dark room, sometimes just bad enough to interfere with my ability to work well. Often worse at night, can't remember the last night when I slept through. Saw doctor after a week who said 'tension headaches - take codeine' and that was it. Can't take codeine as we don't get along, and paracetamol doesn't touch it. Couple this with high blood pressure (discovered during the pre-assessment clinic for something else - which all went OK yesterday) and I think it's back to see a different doc next week...

I have super low blood pressure, which means I can't take aspirin or basically any traditional migraine medicine (as most double as a blood thinner to stop the throbbing and rush of blood around the brain, including OTC versions such as Excedrin Migraine). I basically just take lots and lots of Motrin, which luckily still does something for me after all these years.

Because the competition is long over and now off topic perhaps this thread could be "un-stickied" now.

commented: :) now unstuck +0

The competition may be over, but winners still don't have prizes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.