Definitely a fresh feel as others have mentioned, good job. Few comments from my side:

1. The starting post of the thread or the OP's post should stand out a bit more. The first time I opened up a new thread, I was searching for the question since the original question looks like some sort of a text ad. Maybe add borders or highlight it somehow?
  2. The page numbers at the bottom of the thread should be placed just after the last post and not after the reply box. This is a big one because if you are not scrolled to the bottom, you might think that this particular thread just has one page whereas it actually might have a lot.
  3. As others have already mentioned, the front forum page is a bit busy and hard to follow with all the tags and icons. There should be at least an easy visual way to identify new and old (read v/s unread) threads. Also, on the main forum listing page (e.g. Java front page), there is a lot of free space in the middle. Maybe you can make good use of that instead of crowding up the left part of the page?

Dani, really loving the new look. It's freindly and welcoming, and importantly encourages contribution. For example, the 'be the first to reply' button is a great idea. I've not checked it out on the iPad yet, so may come back with a bit more negativity after that :)

At the moment, the only design downside would be the rounded/square mix. I agree with those who have already commented on this, one or the other but not both should be the order of the day. I'm all for a little anarchy, but this particular mix just leaves me reminded of the first time someone got to play with DTP software unsupervised ;)

It's brighter and busier than before. Initial gut reaction was that I like it better than the previous version.

As mentioned previously, it isn't mobile friendly. Had a look on my Samsung Galaxy S2. It doesn't scale down to the size of the screen (should probably have a viewport parm for mobile users). Couldn't get the drop-down menus to work. When you open a post / "article" the menu goes to 2 lines. That and the purple header occupy almost half the vertical height of the screen (when viewing on the long side) and, of course, they don't scroll up so you end up using only half the height when reading anything.

Overall, on PC pretty good. On phone, needs work.

I'll make it a top priority to improve mobile usability next week.

I'm a little curious about the watched articles and specifically the New/Read & Me thingies on the left side. What does Me mean with that? Not all the articles I am watching have the Me beside them either, even though I've contributed to all the articles that I am watching.

NEW means there are new posts you haven't seen.
READ means you have read (past tense) this thread
ME means you have posted in this thread

commented: Thank you +0

Thanks for clarifying RJ.

Have you coordinated the update with sitepoint? They have updated their forum on the same day

Haha what a hilarious coincidence!

@msanches, its not like their new update looks any good... compared to daniweb of course...

Hey Dani, what happpend to the top charts?

im liking the new Daniweb the more i use it ,like everything i guess

A change was made recently so that you have to hover your mouse over the ads for a time period before this happens, so if you just move your mouse around normally you should be unaffected.

if that change was made, it's not working properly, or the interval is extremely short (like a fraction of a second).
Just moving my mouse across the screen causes it to flash black on and off, extremely annoying.

The new page for Unresolved Reported Posts is nice in that I can now edit the reported posts from that page if need be, however, some posts need to be seen in context to be assessed. Unfortunately there is no Jump To Post link. Is that provided by some other link? If so, it is not obvious to me.

if that change was made, it's not working properly, or the interval is extremely short (like a fraction of a second).

It is a fraction of a second :) I changed it from being instantaneous to being 6/10ths of a second.

After having composed a few substantial posts, I have to say that I'm not very happy with the size of the editor. It's just way too narrow. On my typical browser size, it's about 50 characters across, which is insufficient for even the most stringent "code line size" practices (typically 80 to 100 characters across). And you said the size is designed with a 1024 / 768 resolution in mind, well, that is almost exactly the size of my browser window (i.e., about half of my actual screen size).

Would it be possible to somehow expand the editor to the full width? Like terminating the side-bar at where the editor starts, and expand the editor from there. Or maybe trigger the expansion when you focus on the editor.

I had suggested making the Related Articles panel sizeable with a Show/Hide gadget like in Google Maps.

I would like that too, but Dani didn't seem very receptive to it in the chat.

Can't wait till this is more user friendly with my Android! Just sayin.!

What an awesome transformation! I'm away for a few days, come back, and Bam! I love this new look!

Daniweb has become a standard in forum design by which other forums will be measured.

Just logged in.
This new layout... totally blew my eyes off. Will take some time to adjust, but I see you put a lot of effort in it. I hope others appreciate it. :)

Absolutely love the new layout!

I Would stick a load of smileys here if there were any ;-)

Thanks!! :) As mentioned earlier, a big focus this week will be on making the site more mobile friendly and happier at smaller resolutions.

I'm designing on dual 30" monitors, so it's hard for me to think small sometimes.

I started collecting data today to measure a visitor's viewport size (the size of their browser window) and not just their screen resolution. I'm going to use this information to make informed decisions regarding making DaniWeb play nice at lower resolutions.

What I've learned so far is that nearly all people seem to be browsing at 1300 pixels or higher width, which is great. However, browser height is much smaller than I thought it was (damn widescreen laptops to blame!). Therefore, I'm going to work on making the fixed header/footer not fixed at smaller resolutions so they don't occupy so much vertical real estate.

Hey Dany the Bookmark Post feature is awesome, great add! :)

Thanks!! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.