I've recently installed a new CPU (Core2Quad Intel) and my computer no longer stays on for more than a minute. All bios are updated and the computer runs fine on my old CPU (pentium d duo). The new CPU is cool to the touch after a shutdown, so heat is most likely not an issue. However, research suggests that a shutdown so quickly and abrubtly is heat releated, so is it possible that the new CPU somehow is 'tricking' the computer into thinking it's overheated? Heat sinks function fine, given the tempurature of the new CPU and the flawless performance of the old CPU.

Any aid at all with this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If you are using the old heatsink, remember, it might not be transferring heat fast enough for the new CPU. Did you thoroughly clean the old heatsink before reusing it? It's critical that you remove all heat-conductive paste first, then apply sufficient, new paste before applying an older heatsink to a new CPU.

Your problem is definitely heat-related though. Some BIOS's have a safety setting that shuts down a system once the CPU reaches a certain temperature. Look up the operating temp for your new CPU and double-check that the BIOS is not shutting it down too soon.

are you apsolutly the new cpu is compatible with the motherboard

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.