Hi,

I may have asked this before but why are Databases not out on their own forum? Instead of under Web Development? It isn't just Web apps that use databases and the amount of How do I get records from <Insert Database Name Here>?, How do I create a stored procedure in <Insert Database Name Here>? How do I set up a new user account in <Insert Database Name Here>?, How do I query for <Insert Characterset Here> words in <Insert Database Name Here>? etc... type questions I see on other forums (VB.net, C#) makes me think it would be a good idea.

I know how we access them within our individual programming language is specific to the language but things like administration, SQL syntax, back ups etc would be specific to the database type and most people don't immediately think they would find that under Web Development.

Anyway Rant over! Keep up the good work!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I think it was just a judgement call whether to put it under Software or Web development, it could have been placed under either category.

It is answered somewhere. IIRC it's a legacy issue. Choice made long ago, location never changed.

The answer is the same as when you asked last year. The organization of forums are an artifact of history, and Dani hasn't applied many changes to it in favor of the tagging system.

Member Avatar for diafol

Placing it under SD will add to an already long list - which may push the subforum dropdown beyond the fold, if it doesn't already on some screens. :)

I don't think it needs a top level place in the navbar but at present it may be difficult for mobile users to find as there are no visible subforums. And yes, I know there's a Forums button in the bottom strip.

Ancient Dragon, Diafol - Why place under Software development? It is neither Software Development or Web Development specific - It should be on it's own....

deceptikon - I did state I may have asked this already...

pritaeas, deceptikon, Just because something was called a certain way in the past or "has always been done that way" doesn't mean we should not question it and not try and find better ways of doing something or else we would all be sitting punching paper cards into a mainframe the size of my house with the processing power of a desktop calculator - to start to progress we must question the norm.

Just because something was called a certain way in the past or "has always been done that way" doesn't mean we should not question it

True, but we just answered the "Why" part of your question ;)

Just because something was called a certain way in the past or "has always been done that way" doesn't mean we should not question it and not try and find better ways of doing something

Did I mention the tagging system? ;)

Member Avatar for diafol

Ancient Dragon, Diafol - Why place under Software development? It is neither Software Development or Web Development specific - It should be on it's own....

I didn't say place it there. Ancient Dragon mentioned SD, so I just said that I thought the SD subforum list is long enough. Although it 'could' be on its own doesn't mean that it should be. The same argument could be held for a number of subforums that don't necessarily fit neatly into one 'parent', which would lead to a crowding of the forum bar (or top-level #navigation element). However, and I'm contrdicting myself here, there seems to be space in the forum bar for another top-level item, compared to the lengths of the other 'strips' or 'bars'. Perhaps 'DB' deserves promotion over other misfits in the subforum lists?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.