Please don't dis Fred, or I'll have to tell him you said so.

<M/> commented: tell him then :D +0
Member Avatar for iamthwee

Yeah don't dis Fred, or you'll have me to deal with as well. :)

On a serious note though, I can't help imagine that most of the long standing users here are so far away from the Fred stereotype it's unreal.

But then, with all things in life, there are no stereotypes and we make assumptions about others at our own peril.

Happy holidays everyone. See you in the NY.

I think that Fred really does a good job of embodying the community. What part of his stereotype do you think is false?

Member Avatar for diafol

I think that Fred really does a good job of embodying the community. What part of his stereotype do you think is false?

Didn't we do this already?

http://www.daniweb.com/community-center/daniweb-community-feedback/threads/465473/meet-fred

He's creepy. I'm sorry, but he is. Like some sort of freaky two-legged daddy-long-legs. If you want to empathise or relate to this guy, at least don't make him look like he has an arachnid type one-piece thorax-abdomen thingy. <shudder>

I could go on, but I was just a little sick in my mouth...

Please don't dis Fred, or I'll have to tell him you said so.

Please don't send him round my way. I'll have to hide behind the sofa.

What part of his stereotype do you think is false?

He sort of has this "dorky accountant" look, which is what most people think IT people or programmers look like. But I have never met any of these mythical "dorky accountant" programmers. I think programming and IT is a very creative endeavour, and that creative personality is usually reflected, one way or another, in people's looks. Finding an average and "conformist" picture for some representative daniweb mascot is a pointless endeavour.

Maybe a picture of Fred Flintstone chiseling a program on a stone tablet???

He sort of has this "dorky accountant" look, which is what most people think IT people or programmers look like. But I have never met any of these mythical "dorky accountant" programmers. I think programming and IT is a very creative endeavour, and that creative personality is usually reflected, one way or another, in people's looks.

But Fred is wearing jeans and has messy hair!

Yeah, he is a dorky accountant that works at home and doesn't brush his hair :D

Member Avatar for diafol

Like Mike says, you're on a hiding to nothing with this.

You should have bought him a better pair of jeans as they have that nylon sheen to them. His hair ain't messy - his mother combs it for him every morning.

Who wouldn't want to look like Fred? I bet all the young bucks who've just graduated in IT are down the charity shops looking everywhere for those tasteful big-collared orange shirts to go with their mauve v-neck sweaters (also nylon).

I noticed that you cleverly asked him not to wear those spectacles with the broken frame - you know - the ones with the elastoplast over the bridge. Although, IMO, he's a stunner in them.

If nothing else, this thread has been worth it for the sheer joy of watching Alan get close to having a coronary at the keyboard as he attacks a completely virtual character with a brilliant display of Welsh wit. Yep, Welsh wit - who knew? ;)

If nothing else, this thread has been worth it for the sheer joy of watching Alan get close to having a coronary at the keyboard as he attacks a completely virtual character with a brilliant display of Welsh wit. Yep, Welsh wit - who knew? ;)

This maybe a dumb question but who is alan?

The Welsh bloke who hates Fred.

AKA diafol (which is Welsh for devil) >;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.