"Do you see the benefit in creating a Dazah app that's targeted towards DaniWeb users?"

OK, that took some thinking. To me, DaniWeb is the Dazah app for DaniWeb users. We already have direct messaging and if someone needs to go beyond that, we have (heresy?) other ways to commincate. For this reason the chat app may not fit well in the DaniWeb as I perceive it user base. You could poll the users you have to see what they think about this.

All that aside I'm getting less and less hits on programming forums in general with Google. It's clear the search engine is changing towards something else. And I can see why. Take a random collection of people like you scoop up in say Soylent Green and what percentage are programming, programmers and the like? I'm sure you know this number. So does Google. So to leverage your userbase information you have to tackle what they want which is tough since well, here we are.

Is it true that 1 in 3 hits are from a certain country now? Maybe you need a Dazah with leaders for them?

You built it. They will come.

I built it 2 years ago. No one ever came.

To me, DaniWeb is the Dazah app for DaniWeb users. We already have direct messaging and if someone needs to go beyond that, we have (heresy?) other ways to commincate. For this reason the chat app may not fit well in the DaniWeb as I perceive it user base.

I agree that DaniWeb is the flagship Dazah app for DaniWeb users. But what about other apps for DaniWeb users that do not revolve strictly around direct messaging? What about a code repository or pastebin-type app? What about a job boards app a la Stack Careers? Surely there are other apps or features that could be of interest to the DaniWeb demographic? By writing these apps on top of the Dazah platform, the app has instant access to DaniWeb user data, and users already have login credentials where 15 years of knowledge about them goes with them wherever they log in.

And if you feel that there is absolutely zero need for any other apps for the DaniWeb audience, then wouldn't that mean that there should never be a need for me to work on any additional features for DaniWeb.com because it's maxed out the way it is?

I need help here, and Dazah gives the ability for others to create features for the DaniWeb audience, while giving their apps just as much insight into its users as I, myself, have.

commented: The negativity hurts my soul :( +0

I worry what I think could have folk pulling out the pitchforks and torches. But why not?

With what Wikipedia states about DaniWeb, it may be too narrow to grow your user. "DaniWeb IT Discussion Community is an online IT message board." Maybe someone can try to edit that or if that's this site's direction, maybe a more open Dazah site would do better. I see pitchforks. Maybe markdown would have to changed out on the tech+social Dazah since well, it has its deep tech bent to it. (Torches lit?)

I never used Pastebin. But maybe it's just me and the designs I've worked on over the years. Almost all have been proprietary and all I can share are the concepts but never the full code from those projects.

I do understand the pain.

I worry what I think could have folk pulling out the pitchforks and torches. But why not?

No worries. I am a fan of all forms of constructive criticism. And non-constructive criticism also helps to see how something resonates with people at first glance.

With what Wikipedia states about DaniWeb, it may be too narrow to grow your user. "DaniWeb IT Discussion Community is an online IT message board." Maybe someone can try to edit that or if that's this site's direction, maybe a more open Dazah site would do better.

Anyone can edit Wikipedia, that's the point of it. Feel free to change it to something that makes more sense to you. (I can't because it can't be anything self-promotional). That being said, I don't think that my product is a failure because of poor wording on a Wikipedia entry.

rproffitt, I don't think you're touching on the point I was making, however, which is essentially ... do you not think that there are any other apps that could possibly be useful for DaniWeb's target demographic?

Let me share things I use. Visual Studio both ancient and slightly newer. I really like Fiddles for trying out code ideas or trying to fix other folk's code. Dropbox, Gmail, Android Studio, Paint.net, Ninite.com Cnet and here. Oh wiat, I just was on Imgur.

Sorry for the typo, grow your user? Try user base.

As to chat, I think a decade ago maybe but now we are drowning in choices for communication. Many of us are trying to find a way to disable unsolicited communications. My new Android tablet was just too much as I set it up to defaults and whammo, messages about you know what.

Except for Reverend Jim at the cottage.

Pastebin and fiddles are pretty much the same thing.

I went to pastebin and didn't see how to run the code there. Maybe I went to the wrong site?

Sorry, I was referring to pastebin as a generic term for any online app where you can copy/paste a snippet of code.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.