This is the classic symptom of an oversubscribed ad server.

The server has more requests for ads coming in than it can handle. It backs up, forcing webpage readers to wait, and often causing the ad or the page to return a 404 not found error.

Thank-you for your reply ;) ; interesting. I learn something new everyday on Daniweb. :)

**EDIT to his post: when posting this it took over 1-minute. It is habitual now.
Regards,
MattyD

Member Avatar for iamthwee

There's definitely a problem dani's end.

All other websites are displaying fast for me.

Taking even more than 3 mins now to display at daniweb.

i tried it at my friends and hes on 16mb cable (his dads work) and it was still slow

All other websites are displaying fast for me.

Yes, me as well. All other sites come up almost instantly (in most cases) on my DSL.

We just finished watching Chicago and I went to go check my email and noticed the tail end of this thread and then started to notice some latency myself. Blud is hard at work on it right now.

I THINK we got down to the root of the problem. Let me know if things are better. Thanks!

Not realy, pressed Go Advanced and I had to wait for2-3 minutes get advance options ;-(

You're kidding me! :( I just hit it and it worked just fine. Gah :(

wtf this thread loaded nice and quick but i had to wait like 3 minutes for the quick reply box to appear?whats going on?

Dani I have no idea what happend, on first go it didn't work properly but just minute ago I made reply to a post and it was fine. Duno what went wrong:?: .
Just give it a time and we will see :eek:

Could be browser cache????

It all seems to be back to normal here. Have been replying to threads, doing the daily admin 'delete spam and infract bozos' chores, and not nitced any slowing down at all.

Ok, cool-- Thank-you for the report, happyGeek ;)

The slowness is back. It seems to happen when you post a reply or query something such as view user's profile. Could it be a poorly written sql query dani?

Could it be a poorly written sql query dani?

That seems like a possibility. I see some improvement in speed\ performance, but overall it is very touchy and hit-and-miss at all hours.

I may be totally wrong but still feel it is also related to ad\flash loading; I assume that the formatting and ads are displayed before the user text\reply, so with a "normal" (by today's standards) ad-load, bandwidth is prioritzed in direct connection to what is required to display the multiple cell-phone "buy one get one free" (**NOTE: no matter how many hundreds of times I see these ads I will NOT buy your phone!! :)) adverts :( and the constant banner for Engineer Spec Search. I understand the need for ad revenue but is there anyway to display a different one each time the page reloads or changes? The carpet-bombing method of repetitive ad display is annoying, ugly, and very desperate, IMO. The Internet is becoming more bothersome than televison and, in truth, the ads do not truly renerate great amounts of converted sales anyway.

Matty

I see some improvement in speed\ performance, but overall it is very touchy and hit-and-miss at all hours.

Yes that is true. Very random it would seem hmm?

Yes that is true. Very random it would seem hmm?

Yes.

stop slamming the ads.

there here to stay, yes there annoying and (possibly) make the site slow but at least there not full page or noisy and there a necessary evil in order to keep daniweb free.

stop slamming the ads.

there here to stay, yes there annoying and (possibly) make the site slow but at least there not full page or noisy and there a necessary evil in order to keep daniweb free.

I would not exactly say I am "slamming" the ads (and, I cannot possibly understand your sudden defense of them:rolleyes:), I am commenting on how they may be affecting the speed\ performance of the site and how they seem very, obviously repetitive (as well as unsightly)-- I am not free to do this? I shall: It is my opinion that the ads are slowing down the site (or at least, they are not helping) and they are a nuisance at times. The more I see the ads the the more I am desensitized to them, so, that benefits me I guess; ;) The more I see the more I build a disregard for whatever is being hawked. Forgive me for speaking my mind, jbennet. Freedom of Speech, here.

I am sorry if my opinion has offended any ad-vedors. :p:lol:

Matty

i was just trying to say that yes, we all hate the ads but there here to stay whether we like it or not.

I think the problem is a bad SQL query or overloaded server

i was just trying to say that yes, we all hate the ads but there here to stay whether we like it or not.

I think the problem is a bad SQL query or overloaded server

Cool, I understand, yes. I definately see that there is a need for ads on large sites in most cases. It is only logical in regards to business, etc. Honestly, I really don't mind the ads so much, actually; Like anybody else, I've gotten used to them on most every site on the Internet, and I will say, I believe Dani does a very good job with limiting the amounts of ads and the placement of them on the site.

Regards,
Matty

exactly

speaking of it actually, for about the last 4 hours ive not had a single problem with slowness here
maybe dani has done something

Maybe because you are on an insanely high speed internet connection. When it comes to dialup connections, this lag is killing me.

I just want to say something regarding the slowness, especially regarding the time it takes from when you click "submit reply" to the time you see your new post. Lately, I have not been noticing any slowdowns from posting. Average is about 5 seconds, and even at its slowest it is never more than 30 seconds.

I'm using the cheapest ADSL package available from my ISP, that is, 1.5 megabits/sec downstream, and around 320 kilobits upstream.

Perhaps it's just the times that I visit DaniWeb (6:00-11:00 EST)

>When it comes to dialup connections, this lag is killing me.
Move to the United States. :twisted:

Status Update =

After doing some research the other day, I concluded the problem is NOT due to the ads. I *believe*, but have not yet confirmed, that it's due to some slow queries. I've since recoded some things to help matters both last night, this morning, and tonight. However, I'm still not sure exactly what is causing the problem so i'm grasping at straws trying to optimize everything I can find, no matter how small.

seems a bit better

and by the way dani, you know that wierd css thing i had? and the thing where the ads jumped about the screen?

its getting more frequent. could it be related?

> Move to the United States
Hmm...good suggestion. ;)

why would anyone want to move to the US?

move to the UK, its easier for immigrants to get in

c'mon, please use English! Especially those that claim English is their first language

there -- like "over there", location
they're -- short for "they are"
their -- they own it, "it's their book"

Sorry, but this really bugs me..... :confused:

What strain of English is c'mon :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.