Is it just me or have others experienced extreme slowness in replying to threads?

Recommended Answers

All 97 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Roger that.

yes I have too, but thought it was just my internet provider or something. Its also somewhat slow loading the whole page, half will load ok but the ramainder (probably menus) takes a while. In the meantime I can't use the vertical browser scrollbar.

yeah its slow loading the whole page or when posting

it loads the top part fine, then the thread then after a short period

then after a long period the quick reply box comes up.

the lottle busy thing just spins around for ages when you click post

only slow on some threads (at first i thaught just maybe the long ones but this is ont the case).

only slow on some threads (at first i thaught just maybe the long ones but this isnt the case)

I made some tweaks this afternoon which should hopefully help the cause.

For me, it seemed like the only slowness was after hitting the "reply" button, especially when in Advanced Editor mode.

Haven't experienced too much slowdowns today; I'll let you know how fast this post went from the Advanced Editor reply.

[edit] took about 4 seconds, which is acceptable

The problem seems to be the table-level locking limitation of ISAM tables in the database. Essentially this means that only one update can be made at a time to a particular table, so if multiple people try to post at once, one of them has to wait for the other.

I am going to look into changing the post table to InnoDB, which has row-level locking.

The problem seems to be the table-level locking limitation of ISAM tables in the database. Essentially this means that only one update can be made at a time to a particular table, so if multiple people try to post at once, one of them has to wait for the other.

I am going to look into changing the post table to InnoDB, which has row-level locking.

the what??? :eek:

Hehe. Don't worry about it. Problem SHOULD be improved now.

Hmm ... testing testing 1-2-3.

Test ... test ... another test

I guess this is the secret behind your "awesome" post count....:)

BTW a distinct lag when I hit the "Post Quick Reply" button, but other than that, its okay.

It's still doing it. When I am waiting, I notice that it is waiting for an ad to load, not a Daniweb address.

I have seen this before. It usually happens when an ad company oversubscribes its service. Then, many many browsers are sitting there waiting to be serviced.

The leading offender in this type of slowdown is doubleclick.net. They are always oversubscribed. I have never seen a BBS that let them display ads which was NOT slow.

the vista rollover ads seem to take ages to come up over here

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Slowness is back.

Out of interest what precautions has daniweb taken to prevent DOS attacks, or non registered users who try and deliberately slow things down.

For example on other forums, when non registered users search for information they are prompted with a .gif box with letters and numbers they have to match.

This is obviously put in place to prevent bots from continuously searching for words and hogging up resources...

in relation to the previous post, i think daniwebs server has anti-DoS systems as ive noticed that if i open like 30 diffferent threads in different tabs at once i get "connection refused by server"

Yes, at times, specifically: 4-6 A.M. (Eastern)

Also, this has occured a few times over the last 2-3 days: I reply w/quote via button and the page loads (slow or fast) but the reply form is completely empty-- white. I will capture a screen next time if possible, not that that is necessary, but...

Usually a shutdown at a specific time like that is scheduled system downtime or hard disk backup time.

It could be either the Daniweb server, or your own ISP.

commented: adServer info\ slowness # thanks much--mattyD +5

Also, this has occured a few times over the last 2-3 days: I reply w/quote via button and the page loads (slow or fast) but the reply form is completely empty-- white. I will capture a screen next time if possible, not that that is necessary, but...

Report:

In the last 24-hours there has been a significant lag in Daniweb speed (at least on my end) at all hours of the day (daytime, afternoon, early morning (4-6 A.M.)): loading the homepage, posting threads, replies, etc. I do not believe it is on my end; I am sending small packets via a fast line. I note that usually the slowdown coincides with the apparent loading of ad-content (indicated at lower-left status bar of browser). Sometimes the page will not load at all (404), and often lately when quoting a thread in reply, for example, I get nothing in the reply form (the other night this happened save for a single <br> tag displayed in the said form)

Just wanted to update in regards to this concern.

Thanks,
MattyD

Even I am experiencing a lag. Replying from the quick reply box seems to be an infinte wait...

yes, quick reply box took over 3 mins for me with the thread about preferred keyboard / mice

it also takes about a minute here for me to get the "todays posts" or "posts since last visit" things to come up

Report:

In the last 24-hours there has been a significant lag in Daniweb speed (at least on my end) at all hours of the day (daytime, afternoon, early morning (4-6 A.M.)): loading the homepage, posting threads, replies, etc. I do not believe it is on my end; I am sending small packets via a fast line. I note that usually the slowdown coincides with the apparent loading of ad-content (indicated at lower-left status bar of browser). Sometimes the page will not load at all (404), and often lately when quoting a thread in reply, for example, I get nothing in the reply form (the other night this happened save for a single <br> tag displayed in the said form)

Just wanted to update in regards to this concern.

Thanks,
MattyD

3+ minutes for a reply via the Quick Reply to be sent, never to be displayed (I aborted the response-- anything over 30 seconds on a DSL (which is itself exceedingly long) is too long, IMO. Three minutes? No thanks.

Well, at least the Flash advertisements have NO trouble loading and running the whole time, everytime. :confused::evil:

i think its a database problem on daniwebs end

Not experiencing anything similar here - but have drawn it to the attention of Dani who will investigate ASAP.

Until that reply, of course, which took about 30 seconds to get through...

Report:

In the last 24-hours there has been a significant lag in Daniweb speed (at least on my end) at all hours of the day (daytime, afternoon, early morning (4-6 A.M.)): loading the homepage, posting threads, replies, etc. I do not believe it is on my end; I am sending small packets via a fast line. I note that usually the slowdown coincides with the apparent loading of ad-content (indicated at lower-left status bar of browser). Sometimes the page will not load at all (404).

Thanks,
MattyD

This is the classic symptom of an oversubscribed ad server.

The server has more requests for ads coming in than it can handle. It backs up, forcing webpage readers to wait, and often causing the ad or the page to return a 404 not found error.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.