Hello, everyone.
I have two older computers that I want to give to charity, but need to wipe first. Is a reformat good enough, or do I need some wipe software? Don't want to buy if I can avoid it. Please suggest some decent shareware for wipes, or tell me how to start the reformat. Many thanks!
BTW, I worked a good deal in troubleshooting (software problem? hardware problem? etc etc) several years ago, but the techie stuff is way beyond me anymore. Still work and use PC mostly for Word and Excel.
Look forward to your advice!
Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

a reformats fine. the o/s boot cds should give you the option to reformat and reinstall the o/s

a reformats fine. the o/s boot cds should give you the option to reformat and reinstall the o/s

Thanks for the reply. Actually, in the meantime I happened onto a recommendation for Drive Scrubber - they have a 30 day trial download. Did it and wiped one computer last night. Seems to have worked well. Has several choices for which wipe to use - some take a very long time to complete, but gives you the option of quitting too.

Welcome to the forums! Enjoy yourself :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.