No special reason.. To be honest most of the nations could use more than one,I don't have much respect for the politicians. Maybe this little story will help clear it up.

John the farmer was in the fertilized egg business. He had several
hundred young layers (hens), called 'pullets', and ten roosters, whose
job it was to fertilize the eggs.
The farmer kept records and any rooster that didn't perform went into
the soup pot and was replaced. That took an awful lot of his time, so he
bought a set of tiny bells and attached them to his roosters. Each bell
had a different tone so John could tell from a distance, which rooster was
performing. Now he could sit on the porch and fill out an efficiency
report simply by listening to the bells.
The farmer's favorite rooster was old Butch, a very fine specimen he
was, too. But on this particular morning John noticed old Butch's bell
hadn't rung at all! John went to investigate.The other roosters were
chasing pullets, bells-a-ringing. The pullets, hearing the roosters coming,
would run for cover.
But to Farmer John's amazement, old Butch had his bell in his beak, so
it couldn't ring. He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job and walk on to the
next one. John was so proud of old Butch, he entered him in the Renfrew
County Fair and he became an overnight sensation among the judges.
The result...The judges not only awarded old Butch the No Bell Piece
Prize but they also awarded him the Pulletsurprise as well.

Clearly old Butch was a politician in the making: who else but a politician
could figure out how to win two of the most highly coveted awards
on our planet by being the best at sneaking up on the populace and
screwing them when they weren't paying attention.

Dave Sinkula commented: Good for a chuckle. +13

Even if it is, why the hell not? The MSM & the left have been doing the same for decades.

You are of course correct! If we had lots of smart and well informed voters, I wouldn't worry about it.

commented: Problem solved. :D +13

October surprise? Bah, old hat. October surrender! :p

Heh, thanks for the amusing dose of tinfoil-hattery.
Note the following in the Sun article that was linked from that post:

Dictatorships can only thrive if the population is in constant terror and convinced the state itself is all knowing.

Sounds about right for our current administration. ;)

I think the Sun and Fox News belong to the same person.

Sounds about right for our current administration. ;)

Exactly what portion of the nation thinks of the state as being 'all knowing'?

Pretty much reserved for the insiders in Washington DC.

A portion who would essentially throw over any notion of limits on governmental powers to investigate and prosecute the "War on Terra" (spelling intentional).

And which side would that be?

Conservatives (the real ones) don't, from what I've seen, think that the government should be allowed 'no limits' no matter what the conditions.

And Liberals hate the very idea of war, apparently.

Aw crap. There goes the fun.

Well, there is always 2012, when the lineup of objects in space might favor your preferred candidate due to the larger mass on the right side.

The most dangerous thing about Obama picking Hillary for a running mate would be that her husband Bill would get unlimited access to the White House to check out the interns again.

I find it interesting that Hillary's ratings go down everytime Bill speaks up for her.

I guess McCain wants to invite Bush to speak for him in some of his major fund raisers, now that is brave.

>>now that is brave.
I'd call it stupid :) McCain and Bush are too much alike, which is why I think the democrats will win by a largest lanslide in american history this November.

McCain and Bush are too much alike:
"War is big business!"

Maybe John Sidney McCain III and John Ellis Bush (JEB) would be a nice ticket.

Maybe John Sidney McCain III and John Ellis Bush (JEB) would be a nice ticket.

Never ever in this lifetime! I'll move to Netherlands first (well, not really but you get the idea)

Never ever in this lifetime! I'll move to Netherlands first (well, not really but you get the idea)

Wow, and here I thought that "Jeb" was the nicest of the Bush sons. He would get the Florida Latino vote.

Wow, and here I thought that "Jeb" was the nicest of the Bush sons. He would get the Florida Latino vote.

Don't care if he would get 100% of the Florida vote -- his last name is Bush. About 4 years ago where I live a candidate for state governor lost because of his last name -- the governor with the same last name was a scoundrel and is now serving a prison sentence.

I understand that McCain has quite a foul mouth on him. All Hillary has to do is to egg him on and he will lose it!

I would have a foul mouth too if I spent 5 years (or whatever) as a POW in VietNam. Not a pleasent experience.

were you in vietnam ancient?

Looks like the Demo Convention could become quite a 'hate festival'. Good for McCain!

were you in vietnam ancient?

Yes but I wasn't a pow. They wouldn't even let me have a gun for fear that I'd soot everyone but the enemy.

:)

my grandad could have been in ww2 or korea but he was a miner and miners and people in other nationalised industries didnt get called up

McCain was probably safer as a POW all those years than fighting on the ground in Vietnam.

Looks like the Demo Convention could become quite a 'hate festival'. Good for McCain!

This will certainly be an interesting convention. The democrats have an excellent chance of winning the presidency, lets hope they don't blow it at the convention. I read somewhere that Al Gore might even get the nomination if nobody gets it on the first round of ballots (A brokered convention). The way I understand it is that the delegates are only committed for the first pass during the convention. After that they are free to vote for whoever they want including someone who didn't even campaign.

The last brokered convention to yield a nominee that went on to win the general election was the Democratic convention in 1932 that nominated Franklin Roosevelt.

How about the Chicago convention that was so hateful that it allowed Nixon to win the election.

Actually a good thing, otherwise China would still be our number one enemy, and Walmart would have nothing to sell.

Nixon was lucky, he had Henry Kissinger on his staff. Just think what we have now! Makes me cry!

your voting system is so complex

your voting system is so complex

Right now we are not voting for a President. We are voting for someone to run for President, and that election is in November when everyone votes at the same time. And its even more complicated than that -- in November we don't really vote for the President but for a bunch of people (electorial college) who will meet in January to elect the President.

There have been many attempts to abandon the electorial college system over the past 250 years, but none of them succeeded.

Yes, it is complicated.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.