I want to question for all. I use Visual Studio 2008. Why everytime i show my form, i must declaration variable. Example

Dim form1 as new Form1
form1.show()

Why i can't use form1.show() direction. My friend can use form1.show direction without declaration variable in Visual Studio 2008. What's wrong with my Visual Studio 2008???? Thank's for you replies...

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

There's nothing wrong with your Visual Studio.

Somewhere, your friend is creating a variable just like you. Otherwise an exception would occur (I believe it's the NullReferenceException) because the form hasn't been initialized before calling the Show() method.

I have to note though, I haven't messed with .Net above 2.0 (Not for lack of trying, but 2.0 is all the company will allow) so maybe he's using a new version the .Net framework.

Thank's for your replies...

wheter i must install dot net framework new version just i can used method show???. I' m right....

i really dont know where the problem is o.O
just tested it with .NET 2.0
created two forms and added this code:

Private Sub Form1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Click
        Form2.Show()
    End Sub

works like a charm.
I think you guys mixed the forms with Usercontrols. these have to be initialized before calling but forms not.

I think you guys mixed the forms with Usercontrols. these have to be initialized before calling but forms not.

Don't I have to create a variable to retrieve information or handle events from the form? (I'd test myself, but I'm currently fixing my VS 08 install)

I think there is an option in the IDE for automatically creating forms project wide. Your friend likely has his project setup differently.

if i look into the designer file of the forms it says:

Private components As System.ComponentModel.IContainer

<System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> _
    Private Sub InitializeComponent()
        components = New System.ComponentModel.Container
        Me.AutoScaleMode = System.Windows.Forms.AutoScaleMode.Font
        Me.Text = "Form2"
    End Sub

doesnt it mean that it creates a new instance on call?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.