Oh my. I just saw the news. We had a country-wide earthquake. I didn't even notice. I vaguely heard something about it this morning but it didn't sink in.

Anyone experience this? It didn't affect Deptford, although.. I would probably have slept through it.

We never have big earthquakes! O_o

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

i know some people who were but i wasnt

>> I vaguely heard something about it this morning but it didn't sink in.
Just like those people who "just knew" there was something funny about the man next door who happened to be a serial killer? Heh.

I felt nothing. Probably too far away. What was it? 5.6?

I didn't feel a thing. Maybe that was just the UK drifting further out to sea :)

only 5.2 ?? Those occur almost daily in California. People there don't even stop to notice unless the quake is at least 6.0. One of these days we expect California to be like UK -- slowly drifting out to sea. I've lived in my area (about 1500 miles from California) for about 30 years and have felt an earthquake only once.

yeah but we havent had one for decades

Missouri must just bide its time waiting for big ones.

>> only 5.2 ?? Those occur almost daily in California. People there don't even stop to notice unless the quake is at least 6.0.

Well martians walk around mars all day, but they don't do it here. If they did we would start a thread about it.
It's unique for this region.
I remember there was one a few years ago. Not strong at all though. Big talk. And then there are hurricanes. Not much of them in this region either. More frequent than earthquakes. But not as much anymore.

Well martians walk around mars all day, but they don't do it here. If they did we would start a thread about it.

lol

I remember there was one a few years ago. Not strong at all though. Big talk. And then there are hurricanes. Not much of them in this region either

there has been freak tornadoes in the UK. bloody global warming for you.

Ah.. you Americans always have to have it bigger. Cars .. meals .. earthquakes ..

waist sizes ;)

(joke :) , i am one to speak, i live in Scotland which is like the most obese country in Europe ;)

Every country is the most obese country in the world. I am sick of it.

Ah.. you Americans always have to have it bigger. Cars .. meals .. earthquakes ..

Not really -- there are places around the world that have bad things happen a lot worse then we have -- we have a few hurricanes on the east coast, earthquakes on the west coast and tornadoes in the midwest (where I live). I'll bet India gets hit with bad weather a lot worse than we do. Only had one valcano explode in the 48 states in my lifetime that I recall (hawaii has them often).

Cars -- yes they're bigger and they guzzle a lot more petro too

meals -- they are probably bigger which is why we are fatter. If there is ever a world-wide famine we will be the only people on earth who will survive.

yeah, asia gets tsunamis and hurricanes

I think Indonesia is lucky enough to have the most earthquakes, tsunamis and exploding volcanoes.

meals -- they are probably bigger which is why we are fatter. If there is ever a world-wide famine we will be the only people on earth who will survive.

Depends on the source. If the source of the famine were some kind of blight (disease sense) or devastation upon our fields, we'd probably go down first.

And can it be described as a famine if food is available, but the means to transport it isn't? I was reading a book a while back which had the premise of a massive solar flare hitting the earth, and the difficulty of transporting goods and people without the tech we've become used to was one of the things it touched on.

Yes, the UK earthquake affected me! It sort of forced me to read this thread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.