There was a kind of cult of C-list celebrity surrounding Adam Lyons a few years back, but only amongst teenage boys who asked him for help with cheat codes on the UK Sky One TV video gamers show Gamezville. Back then he was known simply as the Games Guru, but since leaving the show he has been setting himself up as an expert player of a different kind. I was rather bemused to get a press release detailing how Adam had turned his attention from cracking the hardest games to finding the cheat codes for picking up women. Apparently, by suing simple systems and word games he has 'managed to break down his system into a simplified formula that is duplicable by all' and which is particularly of interest to video gamers.
According to Lyons guys that play videogames actually have a massive advantage when it comes to learning this stuff. Lyons says "gamers are predisposed to be good at observing patterns and breaking systems. We've been doing it against those end of level bosses for years. All I've done is shift the focus from the screen onto the girls." There's even a video of Adam on YouTube using his pick-up techniques in a video game shop, to prove just how easy it is.
OK, so what are the top five techniques that a video gamer should apply to picking up members of the opposite sex then?
- Open, Open, Open - If you don't speak to someone your chances of success are almost zero. When you see someone you like, make sure you take the initiative.
- Try a Direct approach - Here' you lay your heart on the line. Be genuine. "I'm sorry to bother you, it's just... well if I didn't say hi I'd kick myself, Hi I'm (insert name here) then take it from there.
- Try the indirect route - Ask someone for directions, ask them their suggestion on a good meal for lunch. Anything to get the conversation started....just don't ask for the time! It almost always gives the game away.
- Be Social - One of the most attractive qualities is the ability to be comfortable in a social setting It displays confidence, as well as social etiquette. If you aren't comfortable in new situations with strangers then bring friends, just make sure they aren't going to let the side down.
- Praise your mates - When we meet someone new one of the first things we do to try and impress the opposite sex is to insult our mates. Don't do it! Instead try saying how cool they are, listing a great ability they have, or something they did that helped you. If you are associated with cool people, (and naturally you get them to return the favour) then you are much more attractive than the person going around telling everyone his best friend has a bad case of flatulence.
Or you could just try spending less time blowing people to pieces on the screen and more time out in the real world being nice to girls, of course…