It would be greatly appreciated if you can simply follow the thread.

Yeah, we would all like that, but that hope is long gone...
If you have an hour to spare: click :-/

Yeah, we would all like that, but that hope is long gone...
If you have an hour to spare: click :-/

What is the search about?

All posts made by Technogeek. Just to give you an impression on the average level of his posts :)

well he has been really keen on learning how to hack on this thread at least since he has joined this conversation, but never mind that. We shall continue to explore diffrent aspects of this particular topic.

Raj

I was doing some light reading...and the following I'd like to share....

There is a community, a shared culture, of expert programmers and networking wizards that traces its history back through decades to the first time-sharing minicomputers and the earliest ARPAnet experiments. The members of this culture originated the term ‘hacker’. Hackers built the Internet. Hackers made the Unix operating system what it is today. Hackers run Usenet. Hackers make the World Wide Web work.

The hacker mind-set is not confined to this software-hacker culture. There are people who apply the hacker attitude to other things, like electronics or music — actually, you can find it at the highest levels of any science or art. Software hackers recognize these kindred spirits elsewhere and may call them ‘hackers’ too — and some claim that the hacker nature is really independent of the particular medium the hacker works in.

There is another group of people who loudly call themselves hackers, but aren't. These are people (mainly adolescent males) who get a kick out of breaking into computers and phreaking the phone system. Real hackers call these people ‘crackers’ and want nothing to do with them. Real hackers mostly think crackers are lazy, irresponsible, and not very bright, and object that being able to break security doesn't make you a hacker any more than being able to hotwire cars makes you an automotive engineer. Unfortunately, many journalists and writers have been fooled into using the word ‘hacker’ to describe crackers; this irritates real hackers no end.

The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.

I was doing some light reading...and the following I'd like to share....

Excellent article. I frequently refer to it in my posts:
Here's the complete article
And the part I always refer to : click
It saves me alot of writing :)

See now I feel bad about the real Hackers.

If only I would have read this bit before then I would have named this thread something diffrent. Still a loud apology to the real Hackers, no offence is meant to them from this thread.

But the thing is this is what we have been discussing for past few weeks and no one ever corrected us.

Good to know that someone has paid attention to this detail.

Raj

Excellent article. I frequently refer to it in my posts:
Here's the complete article
And the part I always refer to : click
It saves me alot of writing :)

Thanks niek_e ;)

Some more light reading...

Computer hacking is the practice of modifying computer hardware and software to accomplish a goal outside of the creator’s original purpose. People who engage in computer hacking activities are often called hackers. Since the word “hack” has long been used to describe someone who is incompetent at his/her profession, some hackers claim this term is offensive and fails to give appropriate recognition to their skills.

Computer hacking is most common among teenagers and young adults, although there are many older hackers as well. Many hackers are true technology buffs who enjoy learning more about how computers work and consider computer hacking an “art” form. They often enjoy programming and have expert-level skills in one particular program. For these individuals, computer hacking is a real life application of their problem-solving skills. It’s a chance to demonstrate their abilities, not an opportunity to harm others.

Since a large number of hackers are self-taught prodigies, some corporations actually employ computer hackers as part of their technical support staff. These individuals use their skills to find flaws in the company’s security system so that they can be repaired quickly. In many cases, this type of computer hacking helps prevent identity theft and other serious computer-related crimes.

Computer hacking can also lead to other constructive technological developments, since many of the skills developed from hacking apply to more mainstream pursuits. For example, former hackers Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson went on to create the UNIX operating system in the 1970s. This system had a huge impact on the development of Linux, a free UNIX-like operating system. Shawn Fanning, the creator of Napster, is another hacker well known for his accomplishments outside of computer hacking.

In comparison to those who develop an interest in computer hacking out of simple intellectual curiosity, some hackers have less noble motives. Hackers who are out to steal personal information, change a corporation’s financial data, break security codes to gain unauthorized network access, or conduct other destructive activities are sometimes called “crackers.” This type of computer hacking can earn you a trip to a federal prison for up to 20 years.

If you are interested in protecting your home computer against malicious hackers, investing in a good firewall is highly recommended. It’s also a good idea to check your software programs for updates on a regular basis. For example, Microsoft offers a number of free security patches for its Internet Explorer browser.

There is another thread along similar lines to this thread here

This thread has grown quite considerably since last I posted in it. The reason that you most commonly associate's "Hackers" with viruses, malware, fraud and other general terms of malcontent is that the media is ignorant. They feed off of people's fear of the unknown, in this case what they themselves are not capable of, and group an entire "culture" of people into another, i.e. Hackers into "crackers" (A word most commonly associated with the people that do the above listed "bad things").

very true. The term "hacker" used to be a term for someone who was really good with a computer and could hack the computer code to do with it what He/She pleased. then it was turned into a derogatory term when some kids started using this skill to break into things that they where denied access to. they gave these people the name "cracker" and as stated above the public already new about hackers so they just grouped us all together.

some people have actually used cracking for non harmful reasons. For example, about 10 years ago a man cracked into the CIA Main Server and sent a message to all the computers on the network saying "Im In" He gave them his name and address. they arrested him. when they asked him what his intentions were he said he saw a fault in the security so he exploited it before someone with malicious intent found it. needless to say they hired him and he is now the head of computer security division.

The moral of this story is that not even all crackers are out to get us. it is just like any gift/talent, the way it is used is up to the person that controls it. so just because Hacker/Cracker is considered a bad thing it can be used for good.

Welcome back Maulth, this thread did grow but still your input was quite invaluable for this thread to be at this stage.

Since I have read about the Internet companies going to send out letters to downloaders etc to warn them about their illegal activities. That would certainly affect hackers as well. As they would use a lot of bandwidth to filter out any open ports etc to breach security. Now does this mean that they have to find different ways to carry out their business. Also how does the ISPs identify as to what have the customers been doing. Say if i download a movie or watch it online, wont it be the same sort of bandwidth that i would be using, or can they actually monitor as to what you are downloading or watching or whatever????

Raj

Here is a link I think should help in answering your question Raj...link

Hey thanks Maydhyam, although i ll have to go home and check out the link as the site is restricted form my workplace...but i ll definitely have a look at it, cheers

Raj

Hey thanks Maydhyam, although i ll have to go home and check out the link as the site is restricted form my workplace...but i ll definitely have a look at it, cheers

Raj

It is also restricted in my workplace as well...well, Happy Reading...
:):):)

I like this description of the topic in our earlier discussion within this thread.....Just came across it and thought I'd share....

*AN ENTHUSIASTIC COMPUTER PROGRAMMER OR USER:

this is the original meaning of the word hacker. A hacker is someone who enjoys learning and exploring computer and network systems, and consequently gains a deep understanding of the subject. such people often go on to become programmers or administrators or system security consultants. Since they spend most of their time pointing out and securing against system security holes, are sometimes referred to as white-hat-hackers.

*A PERSON WHO TRIES TO GAIN UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO A COMPUTER OR TO DATA HOLD ON ONE:

This is the most conventionally understood meaning of the word hacker as propagated in Hollywood films and tabloid newspapers. A lot of people who are quite happy to call themselves hackers by the first definition regard the second group with suspicion, calling them "crackers," as they specialize in "cracking" system security. Such crackers, who spend all their time finding and exploiting system security holes, are often known as black-hat hackers.

Our IT guy is too stupid to block sites like this. he hadn't even blocked myspace or facebook or youtube till i told him it was killing our bandwidth.

LOL

Our IT guy is too stupid to block sites like this. he hadn't even blocked myspace or facebook or youtube till i told him it was killing our bandwidth.

LOL

We are allowed 1 hour per day (10 minute intervals) for the socializing sites (facebook and myspace included) but since facebook got the chat feature, it's totally blocked now :D:D:D

My outlook on the major ISP's warning their customers about not utilizing "hacking" tools is that it's all show. They're doing it to look good to both the general populace and the government. I could be wrong but this is my personal opinion. Some ISP's do actually look for bandwidth spikes and the like, just like some monitor for p2p downloading of illegal content or content that is being downloaded illegally. I don't think it's something they're too serious about yet. I'm going to look for a link to one of my favorite articles, and definitely a reason explaining vista's presence (I know that's a bit offtopic, but believe it is very much relevant.)

well my isp is Virgin media and i can imagine them being affected by illegal downloads. and apparently they are going to go with three strikes and you are out approach. Which will mean i ll have to stick with legal stuff from now on. But how can they determine what i am downloading. It must be down to close monitoring that anyone can figure out that someone is downloading something illegal. I thought they would just see that someone has been using a lot of bandwidth. I mean if that is the case then obviously there would not be much use for having a super fast broadband for the likes of me. I did use it mainly to download stuff and without that there isnt much i can think of it to put it to any good use.

Raj

The following is the description of a software application for download.....

Network Packet Analyzer CAPSA is an advanced network traffic monitoring, analysis and reporting tool, based on Windows operating systems. It captures and analyzes all traffic transport over both Ethernet and WLAN networks and decodes all major TCP/IP and application protocols. Its advanced application analysis modules allows you to view and log key communication applications such as emails, http traffic, instant messages and DNS querries. The powerful filtering module allows you to focus on the information that you are looking for. The comprehensive reports and graphic views enable you to understand network performance and bandwidth usage quickly, to check network health and identify problems in a few simple steps.

It's amazing how easy it is to obtain these types of applications...

Can you download stuff through a Proxy Server? and if you could, would that make it harder to track?

I would like to think yes, you can download through a Proxy Server (I have been able to download stuff here in the office...and it's through the server), as well as it is definitely easier to track what you are downloading, when you downloaded it, how much bandwidth you used...

Your ISP keeps a list of everything that your IP address downloads.

so no matter how you download it your ISP will keep a record of it. i guess that makes sense. the proxy would only allow you to get to the item you want to download and not really mask anything.

Dammit, then i ll have to stop downloading stuff then. Nevermind on topic at hand then, would that mean they would have the details of the hackers as well as they would have been some ISP obviously to hack into other systems.

ALso another question about the monitoring of bandwidth...would ISP also know as to when you are watching videos on Youtube or sommin wouldnt that be taking up the bandwidth and classed as dowloads as well, cos obviously the file has to be downloaded to the temp folder for it to be played.

Raj

actually you aren't downloading anything. It is streaming online.

You see that was what i was thinking but i found out once i was watching this video i just went into the temp folder and the file was there and i saved that file for later use which made me ask the question, even if we are watchin online it still gets downloaded on the temp folder temporarily. which could be saved for later use, obviously there are different sort of decompressing tools which will be needed to play that file now a days as most videos are compressed by websites.

Raj

That's why whenever you are looking at videos online it has to buffer before playing....the buffering is the download to the temporary folder...

so that is why i was asking it is still a kind of downloading process, so how are they to determine whether the download was legal or illegal, even though the person in question didnt even actually "Download" the file.

Raj

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.