Ok this is what is going to make linux appeal to the vista generation. I honestly cant believe how cool this is. Follow the link to this demonstarion on compcomm for linux distro's using windows X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWPhGLDHMLI

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Cool? yes. Technologically interesting and challenging? yes. Does it do a darn thing to make a computer more useful? Hardly.

Most of that demo shows effects that are eye candy and fluff, but do nothing for usability - they are big time and resource wasters.

Do you really want to drag Linux down to the level of Vista? Most anyone trying to get work done turns off many, if not all, the Aero "features" - gimme a "Windows Classic" look and I'll get work done.

commented: right on target :) +26

Yeah I have to agree with Vmanes there, it looks great but also a hindrance. Too much going on....

Meh. Making Linux pretty isn't going to make me accept it as my primary OS. That's like putting a pretty dress on a donkey. At least with Vista the donkey becomes a Mare. Not quite a stallion but--enough with the metaphors already!

I was thinking the same thing as vmanes when I watched that. All fluff and zero substance. Totally useless in business except maybe for flashy presentations.

When is someone going to develop a hollagram monitor ? They've been around in sci fi movies for many years.

commented: Yes, let's go build one! +3

I totally agree with everyone, it is all eye candy but thats not a bad thing. The average user of pc today is mr and ms VANE and they dont give a s**t about usability, they like the bells and whistles.

The concern of using resources is hardly worth it seeing how the computers these days are amazingly fast and nobody gets a new computer with at less then 2 gb of ram in it.

My point was: this is cool, not this will change the world and the computer geeks ability to do more. My hope is that people will see the possbilties of Linux and to do that it first needs to appeal to mr. and ms Vane.

Sw

Wha--change the w-world?

Are you being serious?

common now! just rambling

it seems like the thing to do.

When is someone going to develop a hollagram monitor ? They've been around in sci fi movies for many years.

That would be both super cool, and super useful. Imagine how that might aid in medical imaging, structural design, physical security.... Oh, and the gamers would go wild!

The Linux fanboyz have been saying that they're going to take over the world and that Linux is a viable alternative for everyday use for everyone for a decade at least.
They've been proven false for all that time, and I'm not going to start believing them.

Same as today's Gartner "report" that states that Windows is dead because noone needs an operating system anymore now that almost everything runs on ""the internet".
Clearly written by someone with a political agenda who hasn't got a clue about how computers work.
I read the same kind of reports a decade ago, stating that Windows would "die" within "a few years" because it had got so "bloated" and that Linux would replace it, a younger and leaner operating system (never mind that a standard Linux install comes with tons of crap you don't need, like 500 text editors, 100 window managers, 10 office suits, 5 web browsers, etc. etc., but no decent user interface and configuration system that can be used by your grandmother who doesn't know technical terms.

The closest thing I saw to a hologram was 3-d design monitor that actually moved towards and away from the viewer. The monitor itself did the math to determine where the screen should be. It was incredibly accurate in its giving the 3-d 'look and feel' but mechanically did not generally survive the warranty period.

Just waiting till Google comes out with their neat no nonsense (NNN) OS.

Just waiting till Google comes out with their neat no nonsense (NNN) OS.

Named HAL...

I totally agree with everyone, it is all eye candy but thats not a bad thing. The average user of pc today is mr and ms VANE and they dont give a s**t about usability, they like the bells and whistles.

True, at least at first. I tried that stuff on my laptop about a year, year and a half ago. It got really annoying, so I disabled almost all of the options. Looking back, I ended up quite similar to what Vista has, with some relatively minor differences.

My point was: this is cool, not this will change the world and the computer geeks ability to do more. My hope is that people will see the possbilties of Linux and to do that it first needs to appeal to mr. and ms Vane.

The possibilities I see with Linux are still short of it becoming common in the home. It's making good progress, but it's still a little ways from me presenting it to my parents as an alternative that I don't have to go visit them every couple days to show them how to do something or to undo something they've done.

Named HAL...

Ah, at last I'll be able to take an axe to Google :)

all looks rather useless to me, except maybe partially rotating windows out of the way when you don't actively need them but would like to monitor them.

Ok this is what is going to make linux appeal to the vista generation

I am 18. I despise fluffy GUIs. On windows i use the standard windows 95 type theme, and on linux i have no effects. i like either no gui, a plain X session, or a gnome desktop with a suitable theme (i do admit ubuntus human theme is nice)

I am 18. I despise fluffy GUIs. On windows i use the standard windows 95 type theme, and on linux i have no effects. i like either no gui, a plain X session, or a gnome desktop with a suitable theme (i do admit ubuntus human theme is nice)

lol you're different. Which planet? :icon_cheesygrin:

i grew up on 3.1 so

me too, DOS 3.1...

windows 3.1 i meant, but i used dos and cp/m a little too (i was born in 1990 but got into computers early as my family work in IT and we always had one)

used DOS 3.1, Windows 3.1, and probably a 3.1 kernel Linux as well.
Might have been some other 3.1 version OSs in there somewhere, I've used quite a list over the years.

probably a 3.1 kernel Linux as well.

2.6 is the most recent ;)

youve probably used OS/2 or windows CE 3.1 in some way or another, many ATMs etc... run them

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.